Chapter 64

Published July 9, 2016

Fred POV

Snow was swirling past the window's Christmas was approaching fast, in a few weeks time. I couldn't think about Christmas without her. She knew I was worried about dealing with this Christmas, the day marking my Dad's death, but I was extra worried about dealing with it without her.

Lily.

I tried not to think about her too much, because it hurt. What else did I have to think about when day after day I was watching her in her bed, go into surgery after surgery? She only had two scheduled for today, one to adjust the wires holding her jaw to her face and the other to fully fix her shattered wrist.

I stayed at St. Mungo's most of the time, leaving to check on the shop, then go have a meal with Mum at Grimmauld Place. Sirius would go be there when I wasn't, so Lily was never alone.

"Hey, mate," Sirius said, opening the door to Lily's small room. It was very plan, just a white square with a few shelves in the corner. There was a small window that was enchanted to show Muggle London.

"You're early," I said, putting down the magazine I was reading aloud to Lily and turning to face him.

"I know, I just thought you could use the company," Sirius said, pulling out his wand and producing another chair. "How are you doing?"

"Never better," I joked. Lily would have laughed at that.

"I understand," Sirius said, sadly. "You know, I understand what you are going through more than anyone."

"How so?" I asked. I didn't really know Sirius's story.

"Well, my best friends, her parents," Sirius nodded toward Lily, "were killed. When I found out, I acted just like you, it was hard to believe what happened. I was shaking in the warm October air. I couldn't understand what happened, why it happened..."

"I'm sorry, Sirius," I said, thinking how hard it was for his best friends, his family to just be gone within a few seconds. Who had broke the news to him?

"Well, 15 years later I still miss them like hell," Sirius said. "I'm happy that Lily Jr. has her second chance..."

"Well, it's more like her third, if you think about it," I said. "She survived the first war, then the Ministry and now this." I paused. "COme to think of it, I don't think I know how she survived the first war unheard of..."

Sirius just look down, not continuing the subject of how no one seemed to even know Lily existed.

I never even questioned it before, Lily was just always, you know, Lily. She grew up in an orphanage, that's all I knew. When I first saw her, she looked beaten and was skinny as hell. She looked so broken but she somehow still had this light in her eyes.

"How did you not know about her?" I asked Sirius.

"I-- they, I don't know," said Sirius, not meeting my eyes.

"You don't know?" I said in a quiet voice.

He didn't answer.

"Fine, I'll be back in a few hours," I told him, folding down the page corner 'Healer's Lifestyle Magazine' to mark my place, and then left the room, quietly closing the door.

"Fred, you're not eating your soup," Mum pestered, as she cleaned the table I sat at. She kept making my favorite meals to cheer me up. I was thankful for all the support I was getting from my family members.

"Sorry, mum," I said, taking a heaping amount of the soup on my spoon and making sure she saw me eat it up. It tasted tasteless, sort of like mash potatoes. Everything tasted like mash potatoes ever since Lily got hurt.

"Good boy," Mum said, turning to clean the dishes in the sink. "How is she doing?"

"Better, they predict it will be only a month, maybe a month in a half," I told her. "She probably won't be in time for Christmas."

"That would be nice if she did, though, she is always so fun to have around during the holidays," Mum said, then adding bitterly. "Fleur and Bill are going to come back from visiting France next Monday, they will continue living with us here."

"Ginny will love seeing Phlegm," I muttered, taking a drink of water.

Mum just chuckled and shook her head, but didn't say anything about the nickname.

"I'm sure Ginny will be thrilled to have Fleur for Christmas," Mum said stubbornly. "I, on the other hand..."

I smirked. "I'm gonna head up for some shut eye, wake me in a few hours, okay?" I said, stretching.

"Okay, dear," Mum said, taking my dish. "Oh, remember to write Harry and them, got it?"

"Got it," I said, yawning. I could always sleep at the hospital, but Mum liked it better when I slept here. I went up George's and my room and pulled out my ink and parchment.

Dear Harry, Ginny and Hermione,

They say Lily will be back up in a month, maybe a little longer. They are taking the metal contraption off tomorrow morning, her jaw is fully healed now and will be allowed to move freely. Sirius and I are taking turns watching her, so don't worry about another attack.

Every injury is healing up nicely or is already healed, we are just waiting for the curse to be lifted, which will take another month. Are you guys coming home for Christmas Holidays? Yours should start in a little bit, right? We can take you to visit her.

Congrats on the Gryffindor win

Fred

P.S. Fleur and Bill are coming back from France for Christmas, beware.

I sent the letter off, thinking about how horrible christmas would be last year. I don't want to spend it in the hospital again

Please wake up.

----

When I woke, the sun was shinning brightly through the dusty curtains. I relaxed for a moment, thinking about nothing. Then awareness set in.

Lily.

I sat up right and jumped out of the bed, putting my shoes on and ignoring the painful rush of blood from standing up too fast. I had overslept, hopefully Sirius was still at St. Mungo's with Lily, the thought of her being alone there made my stomach squirm. What if the person who did this to her came back?

I ran down the stairs to find Sirius was just coming through the fireplace, looking alarmed.

"Sorry, I overslept, Mum probably thought I needed more sleep," I said turning to get past him but he grabbed me, his eyes wild.

"She's awake."

Short chapter, but it's still a chapter.

Again, Lily surprises us, huh.
20k reads omg thank you all for this so much I love you all so much!!! Thank you for reading and voting and commenting! When I started this story 2 years ago I didn't realize how much it would help me to write and have a voice in my favorite story.
Thank you.

Send me any art you have or covers or hc or short stories

-S.S.