Chapter 38

Published March 8, 2015

Black shapes closed in, blocking our way left and right; eyes glinted through slits in the hoods, a dozen lit wand tops were pointing directly at our hearts. Ginny gave a gasp of horror.

"To me, Potter," repeated the drawling voice of Lucius Malfoy as he held out his hand, palm up.

I was scared, I knew we would win, but that didn't mean I wasn't able to feel scared.

"To me," said Malfoy yet again.

"Which Potter?" I asked.

Malfoy looked over at me, a look of surprise on his face.

"You are Lily Potter? Weren't you with my son in the book store?"

"Um, yes, you're slow," I commented, trying to sound brave even though there were Death Eaters surrounding us. "But that doesn't matter. Which Potter were you referring to?"

"Harry Potter," sneered Malfoy. "I wouldn't ask you for a prophecy, idiot girl."

"Oh because I don't have a prophecy, riggghht," I said sarcastically.

"What do you mean, girl?" asked the woman to my left.

"Doesn't matter, Bellatrix Lestrange," I said, making the Death Eaters shift.

"Where's Sirius?" Harry said.

Several Death Eaters laughed, Bellatrix said, "The Dark Lord always knows."

"Sure," I said, Pulling my hair up in a ponytail.

"Give me the prophecy, Potter- Harry Potter!"

"I want to know where Sirius is!"

"I want to know where Sirius is," mimicked Bellatrix. Her and the other Death Eaters had closed in, and were only a few feet from us, the light from their wands dazzling my eyes.

"You've got him," said Harry certainly.

"Harry, it was a trap, he isn't here," I said.

"The little baby woke up fwightened and fort what he dweamed was twoo," Bellatrix said in a horrible, mock-baby voice.

I felt Fred stir beside me.

"Don't do anything." Harry said to Ron. "Not yet-"

"You hear him? You hear him? Giving instructions to the others as though he thinks of fighting us!" Bellatrix laughed.

"Oh you don't know Potter as I do, Bellatrix," said Malfoy softly. "He has a great weakness for heroics, the Dark Lord understands this about him. Now give me the prophecy."

"Why do you want to prophecy anyway?" I asked him.

"Don't play games with us, Potter!" Malfoy sneered. "Now give me the prophecy or we will start using wands."

"Go on, then," said Harry, raising his own wand, I followed his example, as did everyone else.

"Hand over the prophecy and no one gets hurt," said Malfoy coolly.

I laughed, "Yeah, right!"

"I give you this- prophecy, is it? And you'll just let us skip off home, will you?" Harry hardly got to finish when Bellatrix shrieked, "Accio Proph-"

But I was ready for her. I shouted "Protego!" before she finished her spell.

"Oh, she knows how to play, little girl Potter," she said, her mad eyes staring through the slits in her hood. "Very well, then-"