Part 90

For the rest of the afternoon Nimen was posted as the lookout while the others made the wall even more defensible. Enoch looked for trees that had good straight branches on them and began to cut and shape them.

As he toiled on the wall Chelnuk wondered what his father's plan was to hold the rock. He imagined giants throwing large boulders at the position and smashing the wall and the long spears. How would they survive?

As they sat there in the darkness of the cave, made even blacker by the restricted light, Enoch joked, "It's nearly as black as your heart in here."

Dismissively Disgast commented, "Why are you so chirpy? We will probably all be dead by the end of the day!"

"Kendra must have a plan, or he would not have told us to defend this place?" lifting his sling up he looked at its condition as he spoke. "I didn't think my joke was that chirpy," then trying to look into his friend's eyes he inquired, "you don't normally worry about death?"

Pursing his lips the older man was deciding whether to say anything to his friend, "Who shall remember us if we all die in a rock tomb?"

Tapping Disgast's shoulder he comforted him, "Why do you want to be remembered by men? God remembers us and, more than that, so will Kendra speak of our deeds."

Getting up to stretch a little the balding man saw Chelnuk scrambling towards them from the vantage point he had taken.