Part 44

They said they were just following orders.

Chelnuk looked at his father’s arm, “You need this bound. Have you any of mum’s ointment?”

Hardly noticing the pain in his arm he grunted a, “No, I shall have to visit her. Break camp and return to Bethel.”

“But it will take us three days to travel back,” said Chralane who handed Kendra some water in a bowl.”

“I will not be long. I shall return to the Bosom to get some ointment and then take you home.” He looked into the distance and disappeared.

Sarine saw him first. He had appeared by the pool to wash his arm. “Dad!” she cried as she rushed over to see how he was. “What have you done?”

Smiling at her concern he replied, “Oh, just a giant trying to kill me.”

She looked at his arm, “You shall need some ointment and a bandage.” She began to return to the house.

“Where’s your mother?” he called inquisitively.

“She is visiting Ablam. She is trying to get some peppers for tea.”

“But I don’t like peppers,” he said with a look of disdain on his face.

“We weren’t expecting you for a month.”

“I would have stayed on the earth but we have run out of ointment,” he sat on the low wall of the pool and watched the ducks fly over head.