Chapter 61: Clues

[A/N: Thanks for continuously reading guys!! It means so much to me!!  

Please press the VOTE button!!  

Much Love To Niki Hopkins For Editing!!  

Susan xx]

CHAPTER 61: CLUE'S

"B-blood?" I stuttered, looking up into Jake's face, "She bit you! I smelt your blood"

A smile spread across his face and he sighed "I cut my leg Bells" he leaned back and showed me the faded pink line on the back of his leg where the cut had been "when I stepped back I caught it on one of the damn branche's"

"Oh" I sighed with relief, that made sense, "But when you fell?"

"My brother's caught me didn't they?" he grinned

"Yes" I agreed, getting slightly frustrated at him now "but you... acted dead" I flinched at the memory of him falling, the helpless feeling I felt.

A laugh burst through Jacob's lip's and his usually perfectly smooth skin creased around his lip's, "I needed you to think I was dead Bells!"

"What?" I hissed, beyond angry now as I walked slowly toward's him, fist's clenched, ready too wipe the laugh off his face. I felt a tail brush my leg's and a loud snarl came from one of the wolves. I turned briefly to see Leah closing in on me, ready to strike the moment I attacked Jake. I stepped back slightly, still glaring intently at my best friend, waiting for an answer.

"Leah back off!" Jake barked, before looking back at me "I know YOU Bella, If you hadn't thought I was dead would you have acted so quickly? You'd have been worried about me, waiting to see if I was alright. I had to be dead, to you at least, that way you would have stopped worrying about me and killed HER" he nodded toward's the smoking pile behind me "My plan worked huh?" The smile was back on his face now, and as angry as I was at him, I couldn't deny that he was telling the truth. A relieved smile grew slightly on my face and I wrapped my arm's around Jake once more.

"Don't you EVER do that to me again" I scolded, hitting him round the back of the head with one hand.

"I won't" he promised, rubbing one hand on the back of his head where I had hit him and one on my back.

"Good" I sighed; breathing in his scent- for once I was grateful for the awful stench that filled my sense's. Behind me I could hear Leah backing away and the wolves howling in delight as the fire died down.

"Bella?" Edward's velvet voice called. I turned away from Jake to face my husband.

"I'm sorry" I sighed, running into his arm's "I really thought he was..."

"Its OK love" Edward cut me off, "You needn't apologize, I understand" he reached down and stroked my hair as I leant in against his chest, silent sob's bursting through my lip's.

"Y-You saved him" I choked through the dry sob's. "Thank-you"

"I don't need to be thanked. I did what I had to" Of course Edward would be modest about it, he wouldn't want us to make a fuss out of the fact he had saved Jacob's life. Jacob who, only seven short years ago, Edward would have been first in line to kill himself.

"I love you" I murmured into his chest. I heard two feet shuffling awkwardly behind me and I turned to see Jacob standing there. Once again I had to remind myself to breath, he really was alive.

Jacob held his outstretched hand out to Edward; "Thank you" Edward took his hand and they awkwardly shook, before Jacob reached out and pulled Edward closer, dragging me with him, and enveloped both of us into a warm hug.

"Get off" Edward laughed slightly, shrugging out of Jake's grasp. I didn't move though. I was still savouring the fact that my best friend was actually alive.

A triumphant howl from the other wolves snapped me out of my daze and I moved away from Jake, to look back at where the fire had previously been. All that remained of Nevaeh now was a pile of smouldering ash.

I smiled wide as I looked at it and reached forward to take Edward's hand. Relief flooded through me as I remembered Edward's grin from up in the tree top's. He must know where Ness is.

"Well?" I asked expectantly of my husband "what did you find out? Where is Ness?"

"Bella, love" Edward sighed, "Nevaeh really didn't know where Tanya or Ness are. I got all that I could from her though" he sighed; stroking my hand slightly as it entwined with his.

"Which was?" I pressed, becoming anxious to know exactly what he had found out.

"The last Nevaeh knew, Tanya had created two more vampire's, Tarin and Lucas" his frown deepened as he spoke. "It was Nevaeh who snatched Renesmee from school""

A serious of low growl's rippled amongst the group, one of them was from me, Jacob cursed loudly and his fist's clenched tightly together.

Edward ignored our response's and continued; "Nevaeh dropped Ness off at Seattle airport where Lucas took her" he sighed before adding "she didn't know what happened after that. She was waiting to get message's"-his face twisted up into confusion at the last word,"from Tanya telling her what to do next. Tanya told her to set up this trail in an attempt to lead us astray, Clearly she hadn't counted on us splitting up into smaller group's. She DID however know that the wolves would be involved. Nevaeh's orders were clear, Destroy as many wolves as you can"

A sharp and clear laugh escaped Jake's body then and a whisper of rasping chuckle's came from the wolves behind me.

"Message's?" I asked, feeling anxious about Edwards's reaction when he'd mentioned it.

"Yes" he sighed "It appear's that Tarin is gifted. I don't know for certain how it work's without being close to her, but from Nevaeh's thought's I can guess. It seem's that Tarin is able to communicate with other vampire's, send them message's with her mind. It is only one way though. Nevaeh was never able to respond to Tarin's order's. She suspected that was the reason Tanya kept Tarin close at all time's"

"Freak!" Jacob scoffed.

"Maybe" Edward reasoned, "You can see how this would work to Tanya's advantage though. She can get message's to who ever is working for her..."

"And they can't ask question's" I finished, realizing what he was saying. There was nobody who would know where Tanya was. Except Tanya, and Tarin, but from the sound of it we wouldn't be able to find one without the other.

"Exactly" Edward agreed shaking his head "it's fool proof"

"So what do we do now?" I asked, realizing we didn't really have that much to go on.

"I will contact Emmett. I am not sure how much weight his phoney ID will carry at the airport, but he's the nearest to Seattle at the moment. We have to let the other's know what has happened, and what we know. Lucas must have taken Ness somewhere, we need to know where"

A sudden thought occurred to me as I listened to Edward. If Tanya had created Lucas then he would still be a newborn. A newborn vampire wouldn't get on a plane anywhere, it would be far too dangerous to be that close to human's, they wouldn't be able to control themselves.

"Tanya met Lucas at Seattle" I said, feeling out of breath for no apparent reason "Lucas is a newborn. If he'd gotten on that plane then there would have been bloodshed"

"You're right" Edward agreed

"So what do we do?" I asked, I was certain Tanya wouldn't have left any type of trail around.

"Let's go" Edward ordered, reaching out for my hand. I heard Jacob phase behind me and we ran off, with 7 sets of footprint's thudding away behind us.