chapter 6: the call

CHAPTER 6: THE CALL

"Hey Kids, How was school?" Esme chimed, she asked us this every afternoon when we got home, and after a month it had become the norm to just say "fine"  

"I'm pleased to hear it" she smiled "Oh, Bella, You're dad called, he said he needed to speak to you about Jacob!" Jacob had gone back to La Push for a few days to spend some much needed time with the rest of the pack, Nessie missed him dearly and had begged me and Edward to let her go along, but she needed to go to school.  

"Jacob? Why what's wrong?"  

"He didn't say Dear, but he did sound awfully worried, he said it would be better coming from him", Esme answered flashing a weak smile my way.  

"OK, well I guess I'd better call him, Rose, will you take Nessie upstairs please?"  

"Mom, I'm not a child!" Nessie whined, being directed by Rose towards the staircase,  

"Upstairs, now please!" if anything was wrong I didn't want Nessie over hearing, "Alice, have you seen anything going on back in La Push?"  

"No Bella, you know when the wolves are involved I'm blinded" she shrugged. 

"I'm sure everything's OK Bella" Edward soothed,  

"I hope so", I muttered picking up the phone, even though I had chosen Edward over Jacob all those years ago, and Jacob had then imprinted on Nessie, I still loved Jake, he was my best friend, my personal sun, it pained me to think anything could be wrong with him. I dialled Charlies number and anxiously waited for him to pick up.

"Hello?"  

"Hi, Dad, Its Bella?"  

"Oh hey Bells, I was waiting for your call"  

"Esme said you needed to tell me something about Jacob? Is everything OK?"  

"No not really Bells", he let out a loud sigh "Its Billy, He's had a heart attack"  

"What?! Oh No! He is gonna be alright though?" I asked, silently praying he answered yes,  

"I've gotta be honest Bells its not looking good"  

"Oh poor Billy" I sighed, Billy had never been secretive about his dislike of Edward and the rest of the Cullen's, but he was a god man, doing what he believed was right. Since Jake had imprinted on Nessie he'd been a lot more understanding about us. He hadn't even argued when we'd moved away from Forks and bought Jacob to live with us, he understood how hard it was for a wolf to be away from his imprintee. "Dad, is Jacob OK?"  

"He's taken it pretty well, all things considered" Charlie sounded really upset, this must be hard on him, Billy and him had been best friends almost their whole lives "but there's been a storm and its knocked out all the telephone cable's down at the reservation so he couldn't get hold of you" he paused, "He has asked a favour though?"  

"Go on?" I urged,  

"Well, I don't really understand it but he's asked me to pass on a message, he said you'll know what he means, Just let me find the piece of paper OK?"  

"Sure Dad" I heard him put down the phone and I turned to look at Edward, "Its Billy, he's had a heart attack" I saw the pain my face was revealing, reflected in Edwards eyes as he walked over to put his arm around me comfortingly  

"Bells? You still there?" Charlie asked  

"Yes Dad, I'm here" I answered talking into the phone again  

"OK, the message is: 'You know I can't leave but I need her with me, She'll be safe, I'm really torn right now but I can't leave Dad, Can you ask Carlisle?'" Charlie finished reading out the message and I felt my un-beating heart break for Jacob, "Does that make sense to you Bells?"