chapter 49, too young

CHAPTER 49: TOO YOUNG 

So, Jake want's to ask my daughter to marry him. And he want's to do it this weekend? How could I allow this? There must be something I can do to stop it. Get him to wait at least another year. The frightening part wasn't that he was going to ask her, it was that I knew, without a doubt, she'd say yes. And then what? I'd lose my little girl forever. I'd not even had 7 year's as her Mom and now she was being snatched away from me. By my best friend. I love Jacob, but I love my little nudger even more. I smiled to myself at the distant memory of being pregnant, only unlike most mother's with teenage daughter's, it wasn't distant because it was so long ago. My memories of expecting Ness were distant because they were mere human memories. Luckily though, the memories of the pain I'd apparently been through had faded over the last few year's, but I still vaguely remembered being on Isle Esme and feeling her move for the first time. My little nudger. 

"Bella?" Edward whispered, creeping up behind me. I was sat on the edge of my daughter's bed watching her sleep, I'd been here for almost 3 hour's now, and I knew Edward was getting worried. I hadn't watched her for this long since she was a small baby.  

"Go away!" I snapped quietly, not wanting to wake my peaceful daughter.  

"What's wrong love?" he asked. What did he mean 'what's wrong?' surely he knew what was wrong. He'd given in and agreed to Jacob proposing, I'd always relied on Edward to be the one who would prevent this from happening too soon. And he had caved so easily, now what should I do? I can't be responsible for causing yet more issue's in my daughter's relationship. She deserved to be happy.  

"I just can't believe you agreed to this" I said softly 

"Bella love, you are the one who is alway's telling me to let them be happy" he sighed "Just a few week's ago you took me and Jacob to that park and told us you wanted him to get her pregnant!" 

"In the future Edward" I hissed, remembering the conversation and the following event's that, as far as I knew, Edward was still unaware of. "Not now, she's still my baby" 

"I know love, I feel the same way too" he soothed, wrapping an arm around my shoulder as he sat down next to me.  

"Then why did you say yes?" I asked, slightly louder than I had intended to, I looked over to check I hadn't woken my little girl and saw her shift slightly in her sleep and her breathing return to its usual steady rate.  

"I didn't have a choice love, he'd have asked her anyway. Wouldn't you rather this happen with our blessing than without it?" 

"In a few year's maybe" I sighed "but I'm just not ready to let her go yet" 

"We're not letting go" he told me, reaching down with his free hand to hold mine "We're sharing" he smiled 

"And if I say no?" I asked, looking over at my precious angel,  

"Then we'll push her away" he admitted, I turned to look at him just in time to see his head drop to look at the lilac carpet below our feet.  

"But there has to be something" I sighed, looking over at my baby fast asleep in her bed.  

"We don't even know she'll say yes yet" Edward said, sounding rather hopeful 

"Of course she will" I scoffed sadly, "She love's him" 

"You loved me, you didn't say yes straight away" he reminded me 

"That was different Edward, I was brought up in 1 parent families, my Mom had told me for year's that marriage wasn't the best thing to do at a young age" I frowned "Ness has grown up living with 4 married couple's, it's normal to her" I sighed, reaching over to softly stroke her face as she slept.