Chapter 26, Happy New year ...Yeah Right

CHAPTER 26: HAPPY NEW YEAR ..... YEAH RIGHT

Today is December 31st. And for some reason, today the fear had set in, in just 5 day's time I would be marrying the man I love for the second time. I should be over the moon, but I'm not. Edward think's I'm just getting cold feet about the wedding. But I'm not. Marrying Edward, again, is the one thing I am sure of. It's the rest of it I'm worried about, the rest being the Volturi.

 Everyone was certain that it wouldn't lead to a fight. I however, wasn't so sure. We'd never had a meeting with the Volturi where it hadn't ended up in some kind of confrontation. Why should this time be any different? So Alice saw that their reason for coming was to check on Renesmee, that in itself wouldn't be an issue. Anyone could tell she didn't pose a threat, she wasn't even venomous. But Aro wanted the wolves. And I highly suspected that he still wanted some of us, as well, he had always wanted Alice and Edward.

Their gift's would make a strongly welcomed addition to his guard. And at our last meeting he had also expressed an interest in me. With my ability to shield mental power's, that would protect him from anything but physical attack. And he think's we'd never go to him as long as our family is still alive. He doesn't believe that, even if they weren't we still wouldn't go. That tell's me he live's in hope. Hope that if he can eliminate what he see's as the weaker member's of our family, then it would leave us to go and work for him.

"Bella" Jasper called from across the room "if I had a beating heart it would be under attack right now, would you please quit with all this worrying! Everything's going to fine"  

"Sorry Jasper" I mumbled "I just can't help it"  

"I know, but there's no point in fretting over something that may never happen" he smiled slightly "and beside's, there's 8 of us, the wolves, the Denali's and the Amazonian, really the Volturi aren't going to launch an attack where they're so outnumbered. They're not even bringing the full guard with them"  

"something just isn't right" I insisted "I can feel it"  

"Honestly Bella" Alice interrupted, dancing her way over to where I sat with Edward "You are worrying far too much" she sighed "you're putting a dampener on today" Alice was, of course, arranging another party, what with it being New Years Eve, she'd even gone as far as to order all the wolves and their families out of the house for the day. Nessie had gone with them as Jacob had wanted to treat her. Alice had even tried ordering us out the house. But we'd all refused, well, all except Rose and Emmett, who had gone hunting again. Though I suspected they were actually up to something else. They'd been going 'hunting' almost every day since the wolves had arrived.  

"come on, you can help me" Alice insisted, pulling me out of my seat against my will.

At around 5 pm, after Alice, Esme and I had set everything up, all the wolves started arriving back in small group's of 4 or 5. Rose and Emmett had gotten home an hour or so earlier.  

"Wow!" exclaimed Leah as she walked through the door "Alice really does know how to throw a party doesn't she?" The family's relationship with Leah had grown over the last 6 year's, she no longer hated them at least. Edward had told me that she'd really enjoyed our company this Christmas and that it was the best one she'd had since her dad had died. My relationship with Leah though, was another matter. Leah had made it her duty to try and interfere in Charlie and Sue's relationship. She believed that her Mom was being disrespectful to her father in some way by moving on. She had made it very difficult for Charlie and Sue to be together at times. She had out right refused to move out of the Clearwaters' house when Sue had wanted to put it up for auction after moving in with Charlie. And Sue, being the kind woman she was, would never see her daughter on the street's. And despite Charlie's best effort's at persuading her, she'd refused to move in with them. Although she had never said anything to me personally about it, I knew through Edward that she blamed me. In her mind, if I hadn't married Edward then they would never have got together.