Chapter 9, Billy

CHAPTER 9: BILLY

Me and Charlie had been sat talking for nearly 4 hours now, waiting for Edward to come back. He'd told us all about his relationship with Sue, about work, the problems they were having with Leah, he'd even told me about the local diner being shut down for refurbishment. He'd asked me about Renesmee, her first day at school, he'd asked about everyone in the family, except Edward that is,  

"You know Dad, you've got to learn to accept Edward, he's a huge part of my life, he's my husband"  

"I know Bells, it's just that every time I think about forgiving him I get reminded of the time he left, and how much pain you were in"  

"That was a long time ago dad, if I can forgive him surely you can at least try to?" I begged, he smiled weakly at me, 

"So how are things between you two?"  

"Better than ever, in fact..." I paused I was going to continue when he blurted out  

"You're not pregnant are you?!" causing me to laugh out loud,  

"No dad, I think its safe to say I'm not pregnant, nor will I ever be" I coughed out "But" I continued, before he had a chance to ask why "we are renewing our wedding vows" I smiled.  

"I think I would've preferred the pregnancy" he muttered under his breath  

"Dad!" I scolded "I heard that!"  

"Sorry Bells, but why exactly are you renewing them? people usually do that after 20 years or something, not after 6!"  

"Its what we want Dad, its what I want" I answered emphasising the 'I' "We want to celebrate how much we love each other again, in front of our family, with our daughter. Is that so hard to understand?"  

"well, not when you put it like that" he paused "in that case, I'm pleased for you" he finished before going quiet again.  

"Thanks Dad" I prayed silently in my head that Edward would hurry up back so that Charlie could fuss over Ness again, just to break the tension.

As if answering my prayers, I heard a car pull up outside and a few seconds later Sue came running through the door, her eyes streaming with tears, and into Charlies arms sobbing. I turned and saw Carlisle walk through the front door with a very grim look on his face,  

"Carlisle?" I asked, needing to know what had happened, I couldn't make out what Sue was saying from her sobs.  

Carlisle shook his head "I did everything I could, but he went into cardiac arrest. We lost him"  

As if hearing Carlisle say it out loud had made it all the more real, Sue's sobs got louder and I could hear Charlie behind me desperately trying to comfort her, his voice cracking as he spoke.  

"Where's Edward, Where's Renesmee?" I asked too stunned to say anything else,  

"We left Edward trying to pry Nessie off of Jacob, he was understandably upset, she didn't want to leave him" he sighed  

"I need to" I began, unsure of what I needed to do "to ... go get them ... I need to see Jake" I stuttered. At that precise second I heard the Volvo pull up outside, it took everything I had in me not to run out there at vampire speed, I reached the door in time to seeing Edward walking towards the porch with a sobbing Renesmee in his arms.

"Oh Nessie, baby, I am so sorry" I cried, taking her out of Edwards grip and pulling her as close as I could. She didn't speak, just curled up into me sobbing her little heart out "Come on, lets get you inside" I soothed carrying her through the doorway and back into the living room, where Sue was still shaking with tears, Charlie was crying as well now.