Eleventh Phase: Mate Tracking 101

• Dedicated to aprocne, InsaneAsh, and ImMurphyJackson

Julian didn't normally have classes on Thursday.   His one class was helped for two hours Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and his Mondays and Thursday were his own.  He wasn't one for mornings, either.  It was bad enough getting up at eight in the morning and out of his apartment by nine so that he'd be in class by 9:30, and even worse if he had to get up earlier because of his roommate's schedules clashed with his from time-to-time.  One Mondays and Thursdays, he may not have slept in all day, but he certainly took his sweet time getting up.  He got up precisely when he wanted to - usually after 9:30 in the morning.

Today was different.

He was up by seven, hopped in the shower by 7:30, dressed by eight,  and was out the door by 8:30.

He had to be at the library at nine.  He was a man on a mission.

He had to see Georgia today.  He just had to.

Julian tried to see her the day before, but failed his mission.  She wasn't there, he was told at the reference desk.  And there was a strong possibility she wouldn't be there for the rest of the week.  Summer was the quietest period for subject librarians, and while they were still tweaking subject guides, acquiring copyrights for materials, and expanding current collections, they weren't really needed for research help and classroom activities.  Of course, they could be reached by appointment, and they were floating around every now and again, but otherwise, they were in hiding until September.

That didn't do him any good.

Never mind that he was so engrossed in being thisclose to George that he totally forgot to pick up all the sources she found for him.  Never mind that he needed those sources to finish his paper, due in a week and one day now.  Never mind that he tried to find sources on his own again and failed miserably.

He just wanted to see Georgia again.

He hated that she was away, and he was here, and they weren't in the same room together.  He wasn't asking for much.  He just wanted to see her again.  He just wanted to talk to her, to see her smile and be all flustered, maybe hear her speak Esperanto again, and maybe even work up the courage to ask her for coffee some time while telling her how amazing he thought she was...

He meant it when he vowed to be with Georgia somehow, and he very well couldn't do that if she was off somewhere, distanced from him.

Julian strolled over to the reference desk, where the same bitter old lady from before was there to greet him - sort of.

"Can I help you?" was what she said, but she clearly meant, "What the hell do you want, you inferior simpleton?!"

"Uh, I was wondering if Ms. Hinton was in today."  His voice might have been even, but her grouchiness put him off balance.  "I need to see her."

The lady's eyes flashed with fear before her face grew dark with agitation.  "George isn't in today, if you must know.  I'm not sure where she is.  Besides, you know you have to make an appointment, right?  It's practically the rule."

Her derision wasn't lost on him.  "Ah, okay, I guess.  I'll make an appointment."

"It's such a shame that you have to deal with George," the lady continued bitterly.  "She's a weirdo, that one - a verifiable nutcase.  Quiet one minute and terrifying the next.  I'd take my chances and run if I were you."

The old lady smiled a spiteful smile and Julian felt all the hairs of his body stand on end.  Just who the hell did this woman think she was, talking about George that way?  He might have only known George for a couple of days, but he knew enough to know that the old lady was the nutcase and not George.  George was nice, kind, a little bit sassy, a little bit quirky, and all kinds of beautiful - everything this old hag wasn't.