Epilogue Phase: We're Golden, pt. 2

Despite the late night drive out from the city to the small city of Terra four hours again, they managed to get to the cemetery early in the morning, like they wanted to.  It was a burial spot specifically made for wolves and their human mates, nestled deep within a forest so they could have their eternal rest in the place they were most alive in.  There were no elaborate gravestones, but name markers on long branches buried in the ground.    

Georgia explained that this place was usually barren, save for the funeral or lone wolf here and there.  However, this was a popular time of year with family and friends paying a visit to remember and to reflect on the ones who have long passed away. With school coming up, vacations dwindling down, and the weather changing once again, this was the last chance for many people to visit this burial place before life interfered.  Even if they were blessed with Gaia's gifts, they still had jobs to work, bills to pay, and other responsibilities to take care of.

But for one day, in this beautiful place, they could embrace the very nature they often had to resist, at least for a little while.

Julian and Georgia walked beside each other in quiet contemplation.  He wanted to ensure that he was fully present for her as she needed him to be.  It had been so long since she visited this place where her parents were laid to rest.  She was still very hesitant.  The site carried memories that still haunted her, even if she'd long been forgiven for her past transgressions.   But after that night in the woods, they knew they had to come and pay their respects.  

Her mother helped to give them a second chance at life.  She had to come, and so did he.

Even in silent grief, she was so beautiful.  He could never not be in awe of her, even at her most subdue.  Georgie chose to be simplistic with her outfit, picking out a black cardigan, dress, and heels on her first try.  Yet in his eyes, if were as though she chose to wear the most exquisite gown in the world.  He just wanted to pull her into his arms and hold her, but he knew he had to wait. 

She had come to say goodbye.  

She had come to let them go.

And he was there to help her through it all.

"I don't know if I can do this," Georgia whispered, though she continued to walk forward.  She turned to him as if to say more, but the emotions were just too strong.

Julian took her hand into his, giving it an encouraging squeeze.  She could do this - she wasn't alone.  He was here for her, especially now when she needed him most.  

Georgie nodded.  There was no need for words.  She understood.

The two of them stopped before two makers standing side by side, no more than a foot apart. Standing quietly under a weeping willow, the names "Terrance Hinton" and "Regina Thandiwe-Hinton" written in engraved golden calligraphy.  A grave sadness washed over him as his wolf, so headstrong and aggressive,sat in mournful silence.  He didn't know them in life, and Georgie only managed to bring herself to speak of their demise a few days before.  Yet the gravity of their loss weighted him to the grown, and the tears that rolled down his mate's cheek confirmed that they were taken away before their time.

No wonder she resisted for so long.  When one has suffered such a terrible loss, one does not open up their heart so easily.

"Hi, Mom."  Julian watched as her fingers drifted down each name plate.  "Hi, Dad."

Georgie looked over to him, golden eyes moist with tears.  He nodded to her once again to assure her that she wasn't alone, fighting his own tears along the way.

"I'm sorry it's taken me so long to visit," she began quietly.  "You know how stubborn I am - you used to tell me how much all the time.   And to be honest, I thought I'd never come back to this place. When I left, I really thought my time here was at an end.  I didn't say goodbye because I didn't want to."