Eighth Phase: Anticipation, and Linguistic Flirtation

11:17

Three minutes before the end of class - though it sounded like Dr. Archer would go on forever. 

Julian really hoped it wouldn't come to that.

It was that she was a bad lecturer - on the contrary, Dr. Archer was one of the best, and all of the Anthropology students gave her glowing reviews.  And it wasn't that the subject matter was boring - the Fa'afafine, a third-gendered people from the Island of Samoa that are born biologically male and have both male and female trails and a huge part of the Island's culture.  He'd never heard of anything like that before and on a regular day, it would have fascinated him.  But right now, Dr. Archer and the Fa'afafine were the ones standing in between him and the beautiful Georgia Hinton.

And that just wouldn't do.

He glanced over at the clock - 11:18.

What the hell, time?  Did it really feel the need to slow him down for giggles?

11:19 - no, wait, it's still 11:18.

Screw you, Time.  Screw. You.

How long was this woman going to talk?  She was an Archaeology by degree and by training, but she sure had an interest on the issue of Gender roles.  It was as though she could talk all day about it.  And it wasn't even because she was a woman - she was genuinely interested in how other cultures deviate from the strict concepts of "masculine" and "feminine" that are so prevalent in the Western world. 

But. He. Just. Didn't. Care. About. That. Today!

But since Gender Roles in Society were being discussed today, he couldn't help but wonder how the ladies dealt with this sort of thing.  He didn't consider himself a sexist pig or a man of prejudice, but he was more than aware of the female ritual of losing their mind over one guy.  The sighing, the gazes of longing, the hours spent waiting for responses to Facebook and text messages, the mild stalking, the ability to somehow appear in the same place the lucky guy is due to appear at the certain - he wondered how they could do all of that and still manage to keep a hold of their sanity.  Well, most of the world anyway.  He considered himself quite the easy-going guy - he prided himself in his ability to take everything as it came and to think on his feet should trouble arise. 

Hell, his roommate situation was a perfect example of how necessary this persona was with regard to his roommate situation.  Liam was the mysterious, sometimes brooding ladies man, Randy was the loud-mouth, skirt chasing douchebag, and Julian was the happy, sensible glue that kept them bonded together.  Why the hell they weren't offered their own sitcom by now was beyond his comprehension.

But Georgia...Georgia wasn't like the other girls he met before.  He couldn't explain why but that didn't matter.  Now, he was overcome with an uncontrollable urge to burst out of that door and huff it over the library, but he was nowhere near the door, and he'd have to step on a lot of toes to get there.  And of course, one or two students would voice their displeasure, and then the professor would notice, and then that would make him feel really embarrassed.

No, thank you.

Still, it didn't help that Father Time appear to be swishing his long-ass beard, an aura of "I don't give a fuck" surrounding his frail countenance as he gave Julian the finger without hesitation or reservation. 

Julian...

He looked out at the window, the school library staring right back at him.  Once again, he was filled with a sense of urgency.  Come on, come on!  Can't this class end already?  He foot tapped the ground furiously as he waited on bated breath for his release.