Preview Phase - Human and Wolf

It was just after one in the morning when the beautiful arctic wolf trotted over to the tree just outside his apartment.  The light was off - he had to be asleep.  The quiet sounds of his slow, even breathing confirmed this.  The wolf nodded to itself, reading to get a running start and jump up to his balcony.  It was so easy to do, now that it had so much practice, and it probably didn't even need to jump on the tree and launch itself this time.

The wolf wagged its tail furiously, thinking itself to be a such a good, clever wolf.

With one last pant, the wolf prepared to make its leap toward the human it adored so much...

But it hesitated.

Wolves on a mission do not hesitate  - it's practically a rule.

But this wolf did - over and over and over again.

The wolf whined at its troubles.  Why couldn't it jump?  This was stupid.  Wolf wanted to jump, so wolf should jump.  Wolf wanted to be with the beautiful human with the lovely scent?  So, why is wolf not jumping.

The voice penetrated the wolf's head with a resounding, "No."

Oh - that's why wolf didn't jump.  Because of her - the other her.

Wolf wasn't surprised at all.

"Just what do you think you're doing!" the voice cried out angrily.  "I will not allow you to go up there!  I scared him off remember?"

Yeah - Wolf remembered that.  And you know what?  Wolf thought that was stupid.  Stupid.  Wolves don't scare away mate - wolves take care of mate.  Wolves never do stupid things - that's what humans did.  All. The. Time.

The wolf's thoughts were final.  "Wolf mate in room. Wolf want to be with mate.  Wolf going."

"The hell you will!" the other voice challenged.  "It may be my phase, but I can still control you!  And I say we are not going up there.  So go back in the forest and do what we always do on these nights."

The wolf growled.  Wolf was tired of this voice.  She's may be a part of wolf, but she acted like a stupid human.  Humans made stuff stupid - or "complicated" as she'd say.  Wolf knew she was scared - humans always scared when they find mate - because it was "complicated".  But wolf knew better.  Wolf wanted to be with mate, so wolf go be with mate.  Simple stuff.

Human can learn lots from wolves.

"Wolf want to be with mate, so wolf go be with mate," it challenged much forcefully.  "It Wolf Night, so wolf does whatever she wants.  You go sleep and stuff.  I want my human."

"Are you crazy?" Wolf hated it when she shrieked.  It hurt Wolf's ears.  "Have you forgotten what we did to him?  I shifted before his eyes and I chased him in the woods to scare him away.  You really think he's going to be happy to see us if you go bouncing into that roomlike lost puppy?"

"Wolf be nice to human.  Wolf will lick his hand and nuzzle human.  Simple."

"It most certainly is not!" Wolf was pretty sure this human needed a good rub on the belly.  "Now, I'm not going to tell you again!  Get away from here right now!  I don't want to see him again, and I won't let you mess this up!"

But Wolf knew better than to listen to her, so Wolf sniffed defiantly before nimbly jumping onto the balcony.

"Human my mate, so I sleep with mate.  No listen to you.  You like mate but you don't want to be with mate?  You're stupid.  Wolf don't listen to stupid people."