Fortieth Phase: The White Wolf

Author's Note:  This is going to be a long chapter - prepare yourself.  Get yourself some snacks, a drink, turn off the cell phone, whatever.  It's long - so enjoy yourselves.

------

There is something going on with your mate out there.  I think after what happened out there tonight, we both know that whatever your mate is, it is not completely human.

There was no way this was happening. 

No way at it.

This wasn't possible - it just couldn't be possible.

And yet, it was, and that proverbial ton of bricks had nothing on what she was feeling right now.

The memories of his flashes of odd behavior began to fuse together, creating an image she might have been faintly cognizant before, but had no choice but to take a hard look at now. 

The mark that he gave her, the mark that she'd written off a simply a consequence of passion that refused to fade away.

The increase in passion and arousal that she'd chalked up to the mate bond.

Her desire to rip off his clothes and take him over and over again whenever he touched her mark - again, she blamed the mate bond.

His increasing possessiveness - she wrote it off as cute because she'd never allow any man to tame her ever. 

But now, as each puzzle piece fit together, it all began to make complete sense, no matter how crazy it sounded and how impossible it was wrap her head around it.

Julian, her mate, the man she loved, was a little more than human.  No, she had to honest with herself.  He wasn't completely human at all.

Crap.

"What's going through your head, mi loba?"  George barely heard Dominic's voice.  "Come on, speak to me."

"It does not compute."  She didn't bother to mask her anxiety.  "I just, I can't even wrap my head around it.  Are you saying that he's one of us?  That he could be a wolf?"

"No, I'm not saying that.  I know we'd have sensed it by how if he was.  Even if he were potentially a natural-born wolf, we would have sensed something, you especially.  You've got a nose for that stuff."

George shook her head.  "He's been living with me, Dom.  I've been around him, I've smelled him day-in and day-out.  There is no way he's like us.  He's too old for the first change, and I sure as hell haven't bitten him."

"I know you haven't, I know this.  He is not like us - of that I'm certain.  But that doesn't mean that he's completely human, either.  There could be anything simmering in those cells of his."

George felt like her head was spinning.  If there was a moment were she truly cursed Dominic's fine art of perception, it was now.  "Goddess, I can't even think right now.  I mean, I don't...I can't even understand it.  How?  I mean, how does this happen?"

"I couldn't tell you, Georgia.  This is something new even for me.  I've heard of love bites, but this is a whole 'nothing thing going on here."  He scrutinized her mark even more.  "Can you feel his emotions, sense if he's in danger, all the normal stuff?"

"Yeah, but I sensed that even before he bit me."  She resisted the urge to touch the mark.  "I will say that he's a bit more...concerned about me, and I'm a bit...warmer toward him."

Dominic sniffed, chuckling.  "Is that your way of saying that he's becoming possessive and it's making your horny for him?"

"Yeah, but you don't need to make it sound all crude."