Chapter 26- Disaster

The heavens were weeping when Kemi arrived at Mega Corps International, as if it was a prediction of how gloomy her day would become. Kemi found a good parking space under a shelter and parked her car. The heater had been turned on and as her wiper moved in its coordinated left and right motion, Kemi grabbed all the things she needed including the take out bag containing Kunbi's dinner.

Over the past weeks, their relationship had progressed steadily and involved a lot of hang outs, dinners, lunches, quick visits and long phone conversations. Sometimes, Kunbi called Kemi while he was at work and they will talk for hours while he worked on documents and she continued with her day. It was like they were always together despite the distance. Just last Sunday, Kunbi had shown up at Kemi's house, insisting they go for a church program together which turned out to be really inspiring and interesting. It was just what she needed. They both needed the soul revival like dry lands in need of water and refreshed they were. Kunbi had even broken up with Tess, while he and Kemi agreed to have a nonsexual relationship. Every moment spent with Kunbi was like a brand new day for Kemi. He was her breath of fresh air, her escape and even if they said I love you often Kemi didn't quite know what they were. Were they courting? Or were they just friends exploring their mutual feelings for each other? Kemi had too much on her mind to include why Kunbi had not defined who they were to each other. Cassi her good friend in the United States, told her he didn't need to since they had both acknowledged their love and had fallen into a good romantic routine.

"Hello..." Kemi greeted cheerily.

"Miss Kemi. Good evening ma." The secretary greeted her. She no longer needed all the formalities to see Kunbi as she frequented the office as often as three to four times a week.

"Is he in?" Kemi asked.

"Yes ma. You can go in."

Kemi adjusted her bag on one shoulder while holding the take out bag with her other hand. As she opened the door, she immediately noticed that Kunbi was not sitting at his large table rather he was standing at the huge glass wall that gave off a beautiful view of the busy city below.

Kunbi was too lost in thoughts that he didn't notice Kemi's presence. Kemi dropped her bag on the chair and the take out bag on the glass table in his office before she approached Kunbi quietly and wrapped her hands around his waist from behind.

"Hey darling."

Kunbi Jerked "Kemi?"

"Were you expecting someone else?" She asked and buried her face in the fabric of his black shirt inhaling his scent she had come to love.

"No." Kunbi sighed and placed his cold hands on hers.

Kemi looked over his shoulder "Hey are you okay?"

Kunbi turned around and pulled Kemi in for a full embrace "Yes I am." He placed a loving kiss on her head and then smoothened down her hair that was a bit damp from the rain.

"Are you sure? You seem off." Kemi looked up at him.

Kunbi studied her face for a while before he leaned in and placed a light kiss on her lips.

"Bad day?" Kemi inquired with a small smile.

"I don't want to lose you Kemi." Kunbi hugged her again this time tighter. Kemi's heart began racing. Something was wrong. She felt it but she didn't ask what it was. She was too scared to find out. All she wanted was to cherish the moment for as long as she could. They stayed that way in the quiet of the office except for the beating of the rain on the roof and glass wall.

Kunbi quietly let her go and opened his mouth to say something but Kemi cut him off.

"I got dinner for you. I got amala and gbegiri soup with ewedun from that amala place you said you liked." She said and headed towards the chair as she pulled Kunbi along.