Chapter 25- Irony

It was her first time in his house and as she watched him open the front door, she couldn't believe her luck. Over the past few weeks, Stella and George had been seeing and working hard on their relationship and to say they had made progress was an understatement. Stella was shocked when George invited her over to his house after their dinner date.

"Watch your step right here." He warned as he entered the house and took the three steps down.

"Oh! Thanks." Stella smiled and followed him down the stairs. If he hadn't warned her, she wouldn't have realized that there were three steps from the front door into the sitting room.

"I know I tripped several times in the first few days of my move.

"Really?"

"Definitely." George stood awkwardly as he looked at his wife. "Please have a seat and make yourself comfortable. Would you like some tea? I have raspberry your favourite."

Stella smiled widely. "I will love a cup George, thank you."

As George walked into the kitchen which was just the next room, Stella dropped her purse on the chair and used the alone time to explore the apartment. It was a lovely place and looked new as if George was the first occupant. The finishing of the house was profound and he had few but beautiful furniture. She walked over to the room divider and noticed the pictures he had arranged on the black glass. They were pictures of Kemi, George and Kemi when she was little, a teenager and finally her graduation at Minnesota. Stella smiled at the memory and moved to the last picture frame. She paused and was taken aback by what she saw. It was a picture of her when she was younger. To be precise, it was a picture George had taken of her on their first date. She was laughing and had her eyes shut. She looked really happy in the picture, in fact George made her so happy and he had been a constant in her life for so long. He had been her rock when she was standing on sinking grounds.

"Are you okay?" She heard his voice and turned to see him holding two mugs of steaming tea.

"Yes." She cleared her voice and stood straighter. "It smells nice." She walked up to George and collected a mug from him.

George found a place to sit as he took little sips from his mug.

"I like the pictures you displayed. I didn't expect to see mine." Stella walked over and sat beside her husband on the three seater.

George shrugged. "I really like that picture. The way you were laughing, it seemed so pure... so real... so beautiful and it makes me happy to know I was the one that made you laugh like that. Not anymore though, the past two years of our marriage was filled with arguments and resentments."

"Don't say that George. Don't you dare blame yourself for anything because it is not all your fault okay?" Stella held her mug with both hands and stared into it. "I had a part to play as well."

"It's okay Stella."

"No! I was the one that kept a very big secret from you for so many years. I lied to you over and over again and I am sorry because you have been nothing but a sweet and supportive husband to me."

"Stella." George tried to stop her. He didn't want them to talk about the past but the future. Their future.

"I am sorry George." Stella broke down in tears.

"Shhh..." George collected her mug of tea and placed it on the glass stool along with his. Before he pulled her into his arms. "You know I don't like seeing you cry Stella. That is one of the reasons why I moved out. I hate seeing you hurt and unhappy."