Chapter 21- Mum's wisdom

Kemi stepped out of her bathroom with a white towel wrapped around her waist and another wrapped as a turban on her head. She had finally removed her weavon and washed out her natural hair. Her dad would have been glad. He always loved how she looked with her full natural black hair. "A true African beauty" He always praised her. But now he was no longer living with them and they no longer had that lovely father-daughter time. She had made attempts to visit him but he had insisted that her mum needed her more than he did. When she protested during their last call, he had simply reassured her of how much he loved and missed her.

Kemi sighed as she pulled out her lingerie and wore them while dumping her towel in the laundry basket where her outfit from the day laid.

They had gone to an orphanage at Ikeja to give things out to the children who were really delighted to see the foodstuff, toys, clothes and books Kemi and her mum brought. It was all in the spirit of Christmas. Kemi was emotional by the time they were leaving. She had fallen in love with the children- beautiful and brilliant but rejects of the society. She had most especially fallen in love with a three year old girl named Ada who was the real definition of the word adorable. If Kemi had her way she would have adopted her on the spot but for her mum- the voice of reasoning.

Why was life so unfair that a lovely girl like Ada would grow up without her parents? As she thought about it more, she tried to imagine her life without the loving care of her mother and her dad. Just these past few weeks without her dad had been hell. What would a life time without him be like? She couldn't imagine it. Then what about her step brother? The same one her mum left with her aunt. The one she hadn't met. She wondered how he felt growing up without knowing who his real mother and father were. All she knew was that she wasn't ready to continue her life without both her parents.

Kemi wore her night gown before she removed her head turban to allow her hair air dry. She glanced at the mirror and her hair that laid in lumps on top of her head. She still needed to apply her leave in conditioner and other things to the hair but she was too lazy to do that coupled with the fact that she just wanted to be to her mum.

Kemi walked out of her bedroom into the quiet corridor. Her mum's room was just to her right but instead of going there, she made a quick detour to the kitchen. The rest of the house was as quiet as the corridor. The tiles were cold under her barefoot as she made her way down the stairs. Suliyat had already turned off the lights and it took her familiarity to make her way towards the kitchen. With her hands in front of her, Kemi felt around for the kitchen door and later the switch to the light. As she turned on the switch, a bright light flooded the kitchen and spilled to the sitting room. It felt like it was just last week that she stood right here watching her parents waltz to their oldie songs right in the parlour. Kemi remembered how she watched them in amazement and wished it will be her and Kunbi someday.

She turned around and headed for the cupboard that held the tea packs, flavours and sweeteners. As she pulled them out of the cupboard, she turned on the electric kettle which started warming the water she had put in there when they got back from the orphanage.

Kemi hummed softly as she made two cups of cinnamon tea for her mum and herself.

"Aunty Kemi."

Kemi jerked and almost spilled hot tea on her hand. Turning around, she saw Suliyat standing by the door way in her night gown. Kemi placed the hand that almost got burnt on her chest. "What is it Suliyat you scared me and I would have just burnt my hand."

"I am sorry ma."

Kemi turned back to set the mugs on a tray. "What are you looking for here?"

"I heard the movements that's why ma."