Chapter 19 Compatible

"Hey girl! How you doing? It's been a while yo!"

"Hey Cassi, Yes I know and I am so sorry I haven't called in two weeks." Kemi used her left shoulder to support her phone to her left ear while she used her free right hand to grab the grocery bags. Her car was parked at the other side of the road and no one was nice enough to slow down for the pretty lady in a short anakara gown.

"Girl, I ain't smiling with you. You just forgot your girlfriend just like that." Kemi heard Cassi snap her fingers dramatically and that nearly brought a smile to her face.

"I am sorry. Can I call you...?" A loud honk from a speeding car caught Kemi off guard. "Jeez! What the hell?" Kemi exclaimed.

"Girl? Where you at? It is so loud o'er there."

"It is called Lagos! Please can I call you back Cassi?"

"Nada! I have to talk to you and it is IMPORTANT!"

"And we will talk not just now. Pleaseee." Kemi's hands were already cramping from the weight of her groceries.

"Noooo. I said this is important and...." Just then Kemi saw the perfect time to cross the road and she could not miss it for anything. Not even for what Cassi had to tell her.

"I will call you!" With that Kemi ended the call quickly and tucked her phone in a random grocery bag before hurrying across the road to her car. She managed to beep the car open despite the many things she was holding and dumped the bags at the back seat.

Getting in quickly, Kemi strapped herself in because she was equally thirsty and hungry and couldn't wait to get home. After checking for on-coming vehicles, she pulled out of the curb and started for home. The windows were down to air out the hot car and as the breeze ruffled her hair, she inhaled the fresh air from the nearby ocean.

The third mainland bridge approached steadily as Kemi drove through the light traffic. A driver in the car next to hers begged to get into the line she was on and Kemi was kind enough to let the car. She used the little time she had before the cars moved on to appreciate her environment and the very things that made her country Nigeria. The impatient drivers, the smell of exhausts from different cars, the honking of cars, the nearby ocean and the hot sun shining above with a handful of dark clouds, a tell-tale of a possible rain later in the day.

Just then, Kemi's mind drifted to years earlier when she and Kunbi would sneak out to take a drive to the bridge just to watch the sun set. Kemi closed her eyes briefly and it felt like she had time travelled to one of those spontaneous moments with Kunbi.

The car in front of hers moved and the moment was over as Kemi continued driving. Home wasn't far now. After the bridge, she will head towards Victoria Island with less traffic. In the meantime, Kemi wound up the windows using her controls and put on the air condition as well as the music player.

She could not let herself or her treacherous heart drift back to Kunbi. So as 'Ire by Adekunle Gold' came on, Kemi turned the volume up and sang along.

"Aunty welcome." Suliyat greeted Kemi when she came down from the car.

"How are you dear?"

"I am fine ma."

"And how was school today?" Kemi asked, opening the back door to get the groceries.

Suliyat rushed over to help her "School was fine ma."

Kemi and Suliyat shared the groceries and carried them in. The house was quiet once again and Kemi couldn't help but sigh. This wasn't how she imagined her return to Nigeria to be. She expected fun, lots of fun with her family and best friend.