Chapter 10 Scouting

Kemi looked over at the clothes strewn across her bed and sighed before she continued with her struggle to put on the skinny jean. She had gotten it to her thighs, when she stopped to take a deep breath and continued. She should have listened to her mum. Kemi thought as she pulled on the waist, with all her might because it seemed like she had added weight. Finally her jean climbed to her waist and she zipped it firmly. Kemi admired herself in the full length mirror and smiled. For all her struggle to put it on, the jean was quite deserving. It moulded her butt well, making it round and firm. Her flat stomach which now had little flabs looked flatter in the jeans and her hips were... hippy.

If only she had where to wear it to. She thought to herself as she removed it and discarded it.

"Suliyat," Kemi called the maid who was folding her freshly laundered clothes into the cupboard. "I dash you." She pointed to the jean trouser that still had its tag on it.

"E seun pupo Aunty Kemi." Suliyat expressed her thanks. "Olorun wa pese fun e."

Kemi laughed "and provide for you too. Now take that trouser and go."

Suliyat smiled, folded the trouser hastily and dropped it on the dresser while she continued with her task.

"Thank you Aunty Kemi."

Kemi waved her off and looked into her shopping bag to try the next outfit when her phone rang. Without looking at the caller, Kemi picked the call and held her phone between her left ear and shoulder as she unzipped the black gown she was holding.

"Hello."

"Will a duplex at Ikeja work for your business?"

"What?" Kemi dropped the gown and checked the caller. "Kunbi?"

"The one and only. How are you?"

"I am fine." Kemi said and swallowed. She didn't understand why her heart was beating rapidly. It was just Kunbi after all. Kunbi her childhood friend. Kunbi that fought with her over gummy worms and loosened her hair. Kunbi the hot eligible bachelor. She swallowed again.

"How are you?" she starting pacing her room. "How is work?"

"Work is fine and so I am." There was a pause before Kunbi spoke up again. "I didn't get a call from you. Did you get another lawyer?"

Kemi laughed louder than she intended to. "Why would I?" She stopped in front of her mirror and looked at herself in a black singlet and a black lace pant.

"Well, maybe the fact you haven't called me in over a week?"

Kemi laughed and played with the hem of her singlet while using her toe to trace the patterns on her rug. "Well, I haven't. I was just...."

When she noticed what she was doing and that she was behaving like a love sick girl, she stood straight and sat at the edge of her bed. "I have been busy okay?"

"Okay..." Kunbi replied in a 'not convinced' way. There was no way she was busier than him but hey! He wasn't comparing.

"I am serious Kunbi!" Kemi shrieked.

"And I didn't argue with you. I just hope you are not too busy to follow me to Ikeja."

"For what?"

"In search of a property for you. I have a feeling it will be perfect for what you want"

"How did you know what I want?" her heart picked up in hope that somehow, Kunbi had been keeping tabs on her.

"Your mum called me. So are you coming along?"

Before Kemi could argue, Kunbi added. "I will come and pick you up."