29: Until Dawn

Is This Sound Okay? - Coconut Records <- perfect for the ending of this long chapter :) definitely have a listen guys!!

__________________________

After the general aftershock of what I'd done, I came back down to earth quite quickly.

I didn't have time to change my clothes - Florence' blood was over my jeans - because by the time we had her bound by some sort of charmed chains she was waking up.

She bounced back pretty fast.

The basement was bound by Kate to be soundproof just how Ana had done the same when Amy was giving birth. Celia's cabin, where we held Lewis once upon a time, was the only place we could keep her that was far enough away from Vancouver and Burnaby.

Lewis stood rigid and waiting for when it was his part to play. Nate and Jackie were sat talking and brooding in the corner whilst Christian was upstairs with Katherine who'd arrived ten minutes ago. Pam and Nick and Callum were out making sure no one followed.

I caught Michael's eye and he gestured for me to follow him outside.

I felt pretty good. At least I thought I did. The panic attack I had was... Minor. It was odd to think Ana's funeral was barely thirty-six hours ago.

"You feeling okay now?" He asked me, drawing me into his arms.

I relaxed immediately. "I'm fine, I promise."

"Well, good." Mike's eyes searched my face for what seemed like an eternity but I turned away. "But you're not fine are you?"

"No, I'm still angry because now I feel like death is an easy way out for her, Michael. She gets to die just like that after everything she's done to us. But then I feel like we're prolonging the inevitable because she will die tonight no matter what I say or do."

"You're right she is going to die tonight." He confirmed.

"I'm going to speak her again."

His eyes narrowed. "Why?"

"Closure."

"You've had your closure. You stabbed her for God's sakes."

I stepped out of his hold. "It'll never be enough." Slowly, I turned and made my way back inside, ignoring the looks from the other vampires and swiftly made my way to the basement door. But of course, Christian stopped me.

He stepped right into my eye line and shook his head. "What are you doing?"

"I'm going down there to speak with her-"

"No you bloody well aren't." Christian protested. "She has to be here until dawn."

"What?" I blanched. "Why until dawn? What's going on? That's twelve hours away. Anything could happen especially since we didn't find her protégé Jonah."

"Katherine's rule not mine. She said something about the spell and the edge of night and dawn and something witchy, I don't know."

"Then..." I stepped closer and whispered, "Let me see her."

Christian rubbed his fingers over his moustache. "You'll-"

"Provoke her? So I've been told. But apparently I'm good at it."

Nate made himself known when I bypassed Christian for the basement door. I exhaled now a little annoyed everyone was trying to stop me. "Nate-"

"It might not be a brilliant idea, Evie."