27: Sired

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE AT THE END .

Like Lust - Movement

_______________________________________________________

With numb legs, shaking hands and a trembling lip I let Kate pull me into the house. I wasn't shaking because I was in shock or sad, no.

I was furious.

I don't think I've ever felt this... angry before. I'd long since stopped crying, as soon as she said Chelsea wasn't dead all emotion was void. Whenever my brain kept telling me to cry or shout or just pass out, there was a giant barbed wire fence with a security guard telling them to get in line and wait. Because right now I had more important things to be feeling.

And fury was one of them.

Inside, Kate led me into the living room where everyone apart from Michael, Christian's sister Jacqueline and Pamela was there. They must have been the three to follow her.

I swallowed the lump in my throat when I watched John carrying Chelsea's immobile body upstairs. I almost cried again, almost. She looked so... pale. It didn't even look like her. You never look the same after death. Some believe it's because the soul leaves the body. Your very personality dies with you. That's one reason why I would have hated an open casket funeral for Ana. She wouldn't have looked like the Ana I knew and loved. I didn't want that to be my last memory of her.

I strayed my gaze away from her to Amy sitting on the couch looking just as pale and just as traumatised. I shrugged from Katherine's hold and sat beside my friend, taking her hands into mine.

And then I turned to them all. Looking at each and every one of their faces. Some guiltier than others. Katherine's looked the most guilty.

"If nobody tells me what possessed them to allow this to happen, I'm not going to regret anything I'm thinking about yelling." I said. I didn't even recognise my own voice; so disconnected, so... monotone. As if I hadn't just witnessed my best friend's neck being cracked in two.

Katherine looked at three particular people before facing me. Callum, Christian and Nate. The three that were in the house before it happened. "Kate." I prompted, my tone rising a little. Amy's hand squeezed mine in warning but I ignored it.

"I saw it before it happened."

"So you knew." My lip twitched.

"It's not as simple as it sounds, Evie." Her step back when I stood made Micah tense behind her. "Evie, she was going to die today or tomorrow night at the airport or if not then, in New York where none of us would be there to-"

"Whose was it?" I interrupted looking at every vampire in the room. "Whose blood was in that water bottle, I'm not stupid."

John descended the stairs with his hard stare and approached me. "You need to calm down-"

"Calm down? Am I the only one seeing this for what it really is?" I pinned Kate with a glare. "You just killed my best friend so I deserve to know whose blood was in that damn water bottle. I saw the tint in the water. I wouldn't have guessed it was blood until Katherine said she wasn't dead."

My eyes darted around the room, meeting the eyes of Nicholas, Pam's husband who wasn't present earlier this morning so no, it wasn't him. Then to good old Lewis, he wasn't a vampire so no. Celia and Ethan weren't here either so I could cross them off.

So that left Callum, Nathaniel and Christian. I eyed all three of them.

Callum ever so slightly shook his head at me which left me with Nate and Christian. I stared between them for an eternity. Neither gave the other away, their facial expressions as blank as the other. But I found my answer when one of them darted their eyes to the other.