23: Dealing

Into The Unknown - Blackchords

____________________________________

My eyes didn't stray from Michael as I wrapped my towel around my body and stared at his immobile body at the sink. I tightened my hold on the edge and just watched the way his face went through a riot of emotions.

It's been four days since he'd found out about Ana. Each day I'd woken up to an empty bed around nine o'clock and gone to bed later in the evening only to feel the bed dip at his return twelve hours later. I knew from Katherine that he'd been at Anastasia's. I was glad he wasn't out doing anything stupid or reckless. Everyone knew about Ana now, it was too hard to keep a secret especially after Michael stormed out of the house when he'd found out.

I had yet to see and speak to the new and improved Amy but according to Pam, Amy hasn't had a moment to do anything other than nurse her new baby, feed so she was okay to be around the new baby and shop around for the crap load of clothes, cribs, and accessories they didn't get much of a chance to do when she was pregnant. Long story short, the new vampire was an exhausted mother and I couldn't blame them for holding off on telling her about Ana. John, of course knew. I'd seen him yesterday.

"I'm holding up better than Michael I guess." He'd told me yesterday afternoon looking just as exhausted as we all felt. "She was Michael's mother figure."

"And what about you? You were basically her kids."

John's smile was grim. "I've learnt to deal with grief a lot differently to Michael. Ana was Michael's first mother figure after he turned. I had Pamela there as my sort of family figure in the beginning and in a way she treated me as my mother did before I found Ana. I'm not surprised this is a lot harder on Michael."

Today was the first day I'd woken up with Michael beside me. I wouldn't be surprised if Ana told him to stop visiting her.

I took a hesitant step forward and placed my hand on his arm. "Michael." I said softly.

He inhaled and exhaled sharply before turning to face me. "Evie... I'm sorry I haven't-"

"It's okay." I interrupted with a half hearted smile. "I understand this is hard for you."

Today was the day I got to meet Amy. I wanted to be excited and a part of me was but...

I ran my hand over his back before going back into the bedroom to get dressed. I shrugged on my summer dress and watched from the corner of my eye as Michael dressed from his own brief shower.

"Mike."

His eyes darted over me before he zipped up his jeans. "You don't have to worry about me."

"I have a right to be worried; I haven't seen you in almost a week."

"I'm here now."

I shook my head. "You're holding this in and it isn't good for you."

"I have my way of dealing with it, Evie. Just like you've had yours."

I caught on to way he'd used past tense and frowned a little. "Had?"

"Yes. Had."

I knew he was angry. Probably more so at himself but at the moment, I was in his line of fire which did hurt. But I knew after he found out about me knowing about Ana, he'd be too emotionally stunted to realise that Ana had told me in confidence and trust.

"Ana said she'd explain to you why she told me." I said.

"And she did."

"Then why are you upset with me?"