16: Family

Heathen - Colouring

so short :(

________________________________________________________

I lay my ear against Amy's stomach and patiently waited. "Nothing's happening."

"Give her a minute."

I raised my eyes to meet hers. "Her?"

"John and I have bets. He thinks it's a boy and I think it's a girl. If it's a girl then I get to name her. If it's a boy then he does."

"I don't see how that's fair."

She shrugged. "I have a few names in mind for a girl and either way I think he'll love it. And before you ask no I'm not going to tell you because I want it to be a surprise."

"Well I can't wait to be surprised..." I gasped. The life growing inside of Amy's stomach turned. "The baby turned over." I whispered and gasped again when it turned for a second time. "Are they sleeping?"

Amy lay her feet up on the coffee table and smirked. "Of course they are. I wouldn't be sitting here all happy otherwise, trust me."

As I lifted my head, from the corner of my eye I could see the men of our lives watching us warily. John was worried for Amy. The days were turning into weeks and very, very soon she'd be going into labour. It'd been a few weeks since our trip to Alaska and I hadn't heard anything from Christian apart from a wayward text message about remembering I had to be the only one to pick him up when time nears. So by that I assumed he'd already had a flight booked. But that was last week. And he hadn't said anything else since then. I hadn't had any contact with Florence and weirdly enough the vampire increase had paused. It was as if she were only making two every few nights. Maybe our plan was working, killing a handful each time. Now the big thing we needed to do now was get Christian here to release her. We were all kind of idling now, returning to our routines as much as possible. 

I caught Michael's eye and sent him a wink. After returning from Alaska, we stayed in our house for a few days before returning to John's. Staying as a group felt better than staying at home alone on the odd days when he had class and I didn't. At least here people were in and out. Problem was as soon as Amy gave birth we'd have to move back out. Amy would be a new vampire and having me - me being human - around wouldn't help her restraint.

"Have you heard from Chelsea lately?" I asked her.

She cringed and frowned. "Unfortunately not I haven't heard from her since we'd left for Vancouver."

"I talked to her the other night. She's so upset about you being pregnant and the fact you didn't tell her."

"She won't be able to understand but after everything, she'll be back in our lives again and she can meet the baby."

Chelsea always entered my thoughts. It hurt that we couldn't share any of this with our best friend. Chelsea knew nothing of this world Amy and I were thrust into. In a way I was thankful. And so was Amy.

"Think if Chelsea was involved in any of this, Evie. She'd go in guns blazing and we both know it. If she were a vampire, she'd want to solve all of it herself."

"You know that's what she's like; she acts before she thinks. Example, when we went up that mountain and caused a freaking avalanche."

Amy smiled. "How could that be three years ago."

"Three years this December."

"We've both changed so much since then."

"I know." I sighed. "Nothing's changed that much. Florence is still in our lives."