3: Persuasive Customer

All My Friends - Kodaline

_______________________________________

I sighed heavily and leaned onto the counter. "Is my shift over yet?"

"You'll be here until three, Evie." Laura said with a smile. "But my shift is over."

There were only few people in Starbucks at two in the morning on a Thursday night. Eight including staff and me. I'd been working since nine and I only had one more hour left before the end thank God but it felt like I'd been here for years.

It always did on a night shift. 

Laura came out from the back, her apron in hand.  "Sid and Mark are around back doing stock. I doubt many will come in, in the next hour you'll be fine. I'll see you on Monday."

Before I could say goodbye, she was out of the door waving. I sighed and leaned against the counter, turning the radio up slightly to keep me and everyone else in here awake. There was a couple on a table by the window with their heads together talking about God knows what at this hour. 

The music playing overhead was relaxing and I couldn't blame the man in the corner for falling asleep. I recognised him from a few of my other night shifts. The brunette with his long curly hair in a distinct bun came in around the same time every time, two o'clock in the morning, and I would leave before him. I cleaned a few tables but then jumped when I felt my phone vibrate. I technically shouldn't have it on me but this was the shift my boss wasn't on so getting caught wasn't too much of a big deal.

I looked down at the caller ID and mentally counted the three hour time difference between New York and Vancouver. Maybe something was wrong... "Is everything okay? Are you okay? Is the baby okay?" 

There was silence and my heart sunk but then she said, "You know what truly sucks at half five in the morning?"

"What?"

"The fact I have pregnancy hormones, I'm hungry, little bit horny and I'm feeling fat and it all hit me at once plus it woke me up."

I sighed out a laugh and leant against the counter. "So you decided to call me and tell me about this because...?"

"Because who else am I going to tell?" She half yelled and I started laughing harder. "Why are you laughing? I'm being one hundred percent serious. John's left me here to fend for myself for the night whilst I slept so he could feed wherever there was to feed in New York. I feel so bad for him, he's barely fed since he'd found out." Amy suddenly sniffed. 

This wasn't the first I'd been on the other end of her pregnancy hormones. Having a half vampire baby only enhanced her emotions more. Once she'd laughed so hard she started crying at the fact she hadn't laughed that hard in weeks. Another time she cried because she was watching a rerun of Friends when Rachel and Ross broke up. Usually our phone calls ended in crying on her part.

"Ignore me." She sighed. "Were you asleep?"

"No, I'm working; my shift ends in twenty five minutes."

"Oh! I'm so sorry! I'll go. Should I call later?"

"Hold on a minute. You haven't told me how you're feeling?"

Amy sighed. "I'm tired. But it's expected right?"

"Yeah, it is."

"Celia said the other day that when she was pregnant, Ethan fed her his blood to keep her strong and to satisfy the baby."

I blinked. "Is John giving you blood?"

"Well, Celia only started drinking his blood on the last few months but every few days during her third month he gave her a little."