10: Unexpected Return

Patrick Watson - Where The Wild Things Are

Probably mistakes it's 1:20am 

___________________________

Ana's word's continued to haunt me that night and even three nights after that. What did she mean by 'draining?' Albeit she was over the legitimate age to be alive by being a few years younger than Michael's real age. She'd out lived a normal human because she was in fact a witch. But it wasn't something I wanted to hear. 

I didn't want to hear the words. "It's beginning to drain me," or "I don't know how much more I can take." Ana lay it on me hard. She gave me exactly what I wanted. The God honest truth just as I'd asked.

And damn do I regret it.

The blaring horns and shouts of enthusiasm as the start of Wake Me Up by Avicii started playing through the speakers next to the bleachers. I shoved my hands into my denim shorts pockets and sighed.

"What's eating you?" Nate said beside me, squeezing my shoulder. 

"Nothing." I murmured, watching the cheerleaders do chants, cheer and urge the crowd to join in. "Why did I agree to come to this pep rally again?"

"Because your brother is here and he asked you to come. Plus it's dark and we wanted to make sure your brother was safe." His arm wrapped around my shoulders to turn me to the side and look up at the bleachers. 

Michael sat at the front with two other teacher's including Lewis. Callum stood on the opposite end of the bleachers fiddling on his phone; I could see Micah sat beside Laura, who was wearing Damien's Jersey with his number on it and Kate sat on his other side which was a little surprising. Micah was talking to Laura and smiling about God knows what and I could see Katherine thankfully interjecting and talking with them. Micah's smile shone toward her and her eyes lit right up.

"Confusing those two aren't they?" Nate chuckled. "They'll sort it out soon."

"I hope they do. They're beginning to annoy the crap out of me." I smiled. 

As the chorus to Wake Me Up began, the football team flooded onto the field cheering and jumping up and down. Damien and my brother were ahead of the pack smacking their team mate's on the back and laughing. 

"Jock's." I grumbled.

"Hey now, that's not nice." He chuckled. "That's like calling me a Jack because I was in the Navy or calling a cheerleader stupid. Stereotyping isn't nice Evie."

"All I said is jock's," I laughed slapping his chest. "I didn't call them dumb or anything else did I?"

Nate only laughed. 

As the crowd cheered and chanted along with the team the current coach spoke his speech wishing that John were here to watch the team into victory. I glanced toward Mike and winked. He sent me a smirk and a shake of the head before returning to his conversation.

 I watched as my younger brother glanced over the crowd and settle onto the second row with a small smile. I frowned a moment before searching the crowd and landing on a girl wearing a letterman jacket. My brothers letter man jacket.  Her dark blonde hair was pulled up into a large bun on the top of her head and a pair of glasses rested on her forehead. A shy smile spread across her lips as she lifted her hand up into an awkward wave.

"His girlfriend?" Nate asked beside me.

"I've met her a few times with his friends but she wasn't much of a talker. Not sure of her name." How could he not tell me he had a girlfriend! Although... That is sort of awkward...