26: Crack

Ivory - Movement > the album I used for my chapter it suited it.

__________________________________

Katherine and I stood side by side watching Chelsea humming away in the kitchen, taking a few sips to her coffee and grabbing the toast from the toaster.

"Kate, you can go." I murmured.

She shook her head slowly, her eyes watching Chelsea move around the kitchen. "Not just yet. Things are going to get... interesting."

I grimaced a little. "How interesting."

"Amy interesting." She whispered. "If John doesn't steal her away."

Balls.

Chelsea turned toward us and I jumped into action, forcing a smile onto my lips. "Chels, you look great."

Of course, she saw right through me. She crossed her arms over her chest and cocked her hip out. Her blonde hair tumbled over her shoulder as she tilted her head and narrowed her gaze. "Thank you. But what's going on. I know I was here during Christmas but now Amy's had a kid and... Katherine, I'm so sorry about your grandmother."

She nodded her head beside me but didn't say anything. From behind me, I could see John waving at me. He gave a pointed look to the stairs and I felt the colour drain from my face when Amy descended the stairs.

That wasn't the same Amy. Chelsea would know something's up. She won't even recognise her straight away, oh dear. "Um- uh, Chels-"

"Why do I recognise that v- oft!" I turned my head around the corner in time to watch John cover Amy's mouth and lift her. He ran up the stairs throwing me a small thumbs up in the process and disappeared. That'll buy us a few minutes.

"Chels," I resumed. "Why don't we talk about this properly over breakfast. Just me and you, I'll explain everything." Almost everything.

"What about Amy?"

"You can see her when she wakes up. I'll bring you right back." I grabbed her hand and started ushering her down the stairs and out the house. I glanced up at the window and Kate pointed at her phone. I checked my texts; she told me to come back around eight after Amy and the baby have been fed but she'd be gone.

I released a heavy sigh at the steering wheel and glanced at Chelsea watching me. "Evie, you look like hell."

"Yeah," I groaned, her honesty still as present as before. "That's because I slept on the porch last night."

Her eyes widened. "Why in the world were you sleeping on the porch?"

"I'll explain, trust me. You'll want to hear this."

**

**

"Oh, gosh." Chelsea leaned over the restaurant table and took my hand. "And this Nate guy... you told him you didn't like him... well, like that?"

I squeezed her hand and gave her a wan smile. "Last night after I left the house, he'd followed me and I'd told him. It hurt but in time I'm sure we'll be okay."

"I'm so sorry, Evie. Have you spoken to Michael yet?" Her stunning blue eyes darted toward our server picking up our plates before focusing them back to me. "Do you think he'll kick his ass?"

"He tried to, let's hope he doesn't try again."

She patted my hand one more time and picked up her coffee cup. "And what about Amy? She doing okay?"