20: Final

Red Dust - James Vincent McMorrow 

Listened to that song when I wrote the end of the chapter. You will understand.

__________________________________

Using a historical example with which you are familiar, write an essay of 1.5 to 3 sides about the ways in which the ideas of elites influenced, or failed to influence, the lives of ordinary people. 30 Marks....

Just as I pressed my pen to the paper to answer the question, Christian planted himself in the seat directly in front of me with a smile. I smiled right back and said, "Is there any particular reason why you're here?"

"Well, it's almost six and you've been here since this morning. Michael asked me to come and get you."

Now, that was interesting. "Michael asked you to come and get me?"

"No, I'm lying. John asked me to come and get you. Your vampire is busy introducing my sister to everyone."

It's been two days since Christian's released Florence and so far, our evenings have been quiet. Of course, Lewis had a bit of a problem adjusting to being around Christian after we'd officially introduced them last night. And of course, after we'd explained that Christian had released Florence the night before, he argued why we didn't use that opportunity to end it all. Kate had to then explain that if he wanted to be free of this curse he had to be patient enough for the rest of the witches to devise a particular bond to that part of him and to Florence. It shouldn't take much longer apparently and I was glad to hear it.

Christian's sister, Jacqueline or Jackie as Micah had called her, had arrived this morning but I had yet to meet her. Apparently, according to him, she was lovely but I'll be the judge of that. I didn't have anything against her it was just... hard to trust, I guess.

Like Christian for example. I trusted him 95%. But with every day its getting higher.

"You can't keep studying, you'll explode sweetheart." He said. "Your first test is tomorrow after all. You know what you need to know." 

I sighed. "I know, I just want to make sure I'm certain."

"Look you'll ace all of your tests. How many have you got?"

"Four."

"I've watched you study, I know you're ready." Christian patted my hand with a smile before gathering up my books. "Let's go, it'll be dark out soon. Are you taking these books out?"

"Yeah, those ones are mine." I replied packing up the remaining books and stuffing them into my backpack. "So your sister's at Johns?"

"Yes. The only people that weren't there when I left were Nathaniel and your friend Katherine. But speaking of Nathaniel, I was wondering what it was between the two of you."

I rolled my eyes. "He is literally only my friend. There may have been some questionable feelings he had toward me at one point and I him but now, in this present day, I see him as my friend."

I watched Christian smile at the librarian and contained my frown at the way the older woman blushed and ducked her head behind a book case. "Maybe you should find him someone."

"Nate doesn't need my help to find someone, Chris."

"He may need a small nudge." He smirked. "It gets lonely sometimes, living for an eternity. You're very lucky you know. Having all of these friends to share it with."

"You had your brother and sister?"

"Yes, but not any friends especially as many as you do. Amy is your best friend, and you get to have her forever. Michael is your lover and again you get to have him forever. You have a wonderfully big family." Christian's smile was the most sincere I'd ever seen it. It wasn't a ploy, he may be unpredictable but this was an interesting side to him. He placed a hand on my shoulder with a light pat and chuckled. "Trust me, Evangeline. The day will come, whether in eighty years or two hundred years where you'll be sitting there realising how lucky you are to share eternity with your family and friends. It may not be your birth family but it'll be close enough."