15: Power

Closer Than This - St. Lucia

________________________________________________

I observed Christian's fluid motions as he shovelled the snow from his drive in a sharp stone-grey suit, boots and a puffy black Parka. 

My fingers automatically scratched at the healed scars on my neck, glad to feel it was nothing but taught skin. It was still noticeable enough, more so to a vampires eyes. It'd take a while but it'd disappear after time. 

I was nervous. Hell, I was downright frightened for Christian's life oddly enough. None of them will take to him feeding from me well. It may be an airport but something tells me Michael might not care too much.

Christian threw the shovel to the side and adjusted his well fitted suit jacket and navy tie beneath his coat. He smoothed his hand over his hair and approached me.

"Come now, I don't want to keep them waiting any longer," He offered me his hand and helped me down the steps of his cabin, opening the passenger side of his Jeep and shutting the door.

"How old are these vampires?" He asked me once we'd reached the bottom of the mountain.

I glanced at him. "Why?" 

"A simple thought of mine." 

"Michael and Nate are just over a century and my other friend Callum, is over three."

Christian nodded thoughtfully. "And how old are you again?"

"I'm surprised you've forgotten; twenty-one."

At a traffic light, he turned to me. "When do you plan on turning?"

I furrowed my brows. "Well, I promised Michael I'd graduate first."

"This year?"

"I graduate this year, yeah. But with the Florence thing everything's gone a bit upside down. Plus my friend, she's... I just have commitments."

"I'm sorry to pry, but your friend?"

I sighed. "Pregnant."

"Oh?" 

"With a dhampir."

Christian faltered slightly on the accelerator as the light turned green and I jolted forward. I turned my head with a small smile at his shocked eyes and parted lips. 

"You're nine hundred and you haven't seen a half-human half-vampire kid?"

"Well, not really no. I haven't met a human mad enough."

"My other friend, Celia, she has a baby boy. He's perfect."

"And she's still alive?"

"Her partner turned her after birth."

"And that's the same fate your friend has then. Did she have a choice?"

His questioning, at first was odd but as I watched him drive he was truly intrigued and surprised by the thought of a half and half. "She wanted to turn one day. But..."

"Not this soon." He finished. 

We remained silent for the remainder of the journey. But as we neared the airport he said, "If I do agree to this proposal, then I'd like to meet them."

"That won't be up to me, Christian."

"I understand." He nodded, abiding by the road system of an airport and parking. He rounded the car and assisted me out. "And you understand that me agreeing won't be up to you either."