9: Illness

Patrick Watson - Adventures in Your Own Backyard

_________________________________________

I'd been in and out of sleep all day. Michael had reluctantly left me to go to work and I decided to take a day to myself to mosey around the house in absolute agony.

Claire had come over this morning to give me whatever types of herbs and witch crap to help with the pain which it did for the first four hours. 

I'd taken a nap in each part of the house today hoping that one of the surfaces would be soft against my face. And finally I succumbed to a deeper slumber against the soft surface of the couch. It was better than a pillow oddly enough. 

After going to sleep at three am last night I probably slept for about four hours before the aching of my head woke me up. I hadn't realised how boring staying at home all day was until now. There wasn't much I could do without somehow causing my face to throb. I called Amy and told her the latest developments. Was she happy about me telling her I'd gotten a black eye? God no. 

"Don't stress me out, Evangeline." Amy gritted over the line. "I'm too far along for me to get stressed out. How could she punch you? Just because you said she didn't have a heart? Then again, Evie you crazy moron, why would you call a psychopath heartless?"

"I'm not sure. The fact that it was daylight gave me more confidence."

"Well you're a freaking idiot then!"

I moved the phone away from my ear as she yelled and sighed. "She won't even allow me to drink Michael's blood."

"How could she dictate that?"

"She said she'd know. A while ago she promised to make my friend's and family's lives hell. She even threatened you and John. I can't risk you guys."

There was silence over the line for what felt like forever before a male voice replaced Amy's. "Don't worry about us, Evie. We can handle ourselves. Do you think we're unprotected? Pamela has friend's here. We're more than fine. We'll be in Canada after next week so we'll see you soon."

"Will they let Amy fly?"

"I'll be fine." Amy's voice yelled in the background. "Just get some rest and speak to me tomorrow."

I didn't know how long had passed after I'd fallen asleep on the couch a few hours after I'd called Amy but not long after, I heard two voices.

"Shh, I think she's sleeping." A British voice said. Callum. "Don't baby her about her face, Nate. I'll get her ice, it looks swollen again."

Two presences stopped in front of me before one of them disappeared. Then a feather light touch skimmed over my bruised eyebrow. His fingers moved the hair from my face before his knuckles brushed over my cheek.

"You're so brave." He murmured, sitting next to my head on the couch. 

I didn't dare move or change my breathing. I was having enough damn trouble controlling the beat of my heart if that was even possible. His fingers continued to brush against my cheek before his touch disappeared completely and footsteps returned.

"Wake her up would you?" Cal whispered. 

This time when Nathaniel touched my cheek it wasn't as intimate as a moment ago. The side of his finger skimmed across my face as he murmured my name.

"Hm?" Slowly, to make it as realistic as possible, I cracked one eye open and then another. Nate smiled down at me but it was filled with sympathy. "Afternoon," A real yawn emitted from my mouth before I stretched upwards. "Come to pity me?"