24: Not Today

Read the small note at the end guyz. Bon Iver - I can't make you love me

_________________________________________________

It's never nice is it?

Seeing the people you loved or care about cry. Watching them grieve. Of course, it wasn't any better seeing any of them pass away.

I let my eyes wander over the groups of people gathered here. Some I knew very, very well and others I had yet to have the pleasure of meeting. However, under circumstances like these it wasn't really much of a pleasure. My eyes settled on the family of vampires, witches and humans; two species of which willing to come together and push aside any differences for this day.

For Ana's funeral.

I felt a hand squeeze my numb fingers, even in this midday heat. My mother sent me a strong however wavering smile as she continued to listen to the pastor speak.

I didn't know how it happened so fast. A week ago I was seeing Amy for the first time and telling Michael to visit Ana. And three days later I was there at the house, peaking inside the crack of her bedroom waiting for Michael and John to emerge from her last words to them. I didn't know whether she knew I was listening, I didn't know whether she knew I could see her. But the last thing I heard her say to them was: "You look after those girls, okay? You won't find... anyone like them again."

It broke me. And it broke them. I managed to get away before they could see me but not before glimpsing at the frail smile on Anastasia's face. It was the perfect image and words to remember her by. Lovable, caring Anastasia.

I carried on searching the faces of the lives Ana had so obviously touched. I paused on Katherine's family. I've never seen her so... blank. Empty. I suppose she wasn't always the type to express her emotions openly. Sam had an arm wrapped around his sibling whilst his father's was around his wife.

Amy was standing beside Celia and Ethan, sans both of their babies. Christian and his sister decided to babysit which both mothers' were extremely grateful for. Of course, the fact Amy was here didn't go unnoticed by my family. The questions were clear within their eyes but they didn't dare ask. Today was not the day for questions.

As the pastor spoke of loved ones, family and friends I stopped on Michael across the grounds standing with John, Nate, Callum and Pam by their sides. I was there for Mike during the ceremony; holding his hand whilst John spoke, holding his hand whilst he spoke. Their speeches weren't sad, no, they were reminiscent of the memories (not all, obviously) they shared with her. John's was particularly a nice pick-me-up. But nonetheless I shed tears from the beginning to the end.

I couldn't bear to look when the coffin began lowering because a small part of a lot of the people here were going along with it. I looked across to Michael and left my mother to stand with him. It was the second time I'd seen him cry. I wrapped my arm around his waist and felt his head turn away into my hair. My eyes drifted beside him to catch Nate's and I reached out and grabbed his hand.

She was family to each and every one of us. And she always will be.

**

**

In the vanity mirror in Amy and John's bedroom, I caught Amy's sad eyes. "Michael and John have gone for a walk."

I gave her a swift nod, tying off the end of my braid. "I'm glad. Those two need to talk about it."

"I'm kind of glad everyone downstairs is celebrating Ana's life rather than moping around."

"That's the way she wanted it." I said. "She didn't want any of us to be moping around about it."