14: Regular Hero

Beautiful War - Kings of Leon

TW - Brief mention of abuse

__________________________________

I was wary as I showered, fully aware there was no lock on the door. What he had planned for today was beyond me. So unpredictable. And when I peaked around the door of the bathroom I scowled at my now clean clothes folded at the end of the bed. Ass. 

From my reflection in the mirror, the bite had almost completely healed. It was directly over Florence's bite maybe slightly bigger in the incisor's. Still, the skin was taught, and I knew it'd be a scar for life. I don't know whether I preferred Florence's or his. Hold on, I didn't prefer either of them.

I dressed quickly, slipping my boots back on and towel drying the ends of my hair; I glanced out of the window and exhaled a breath. Snow, snow and more snow. I couldn't even see Anchorage. We really were on a mountain. It wasn't really steep, the road leading down dipped and disappeared into a row of trees. I hadn't thought about running but now I knew it was not an option. 

As I tried the door of the bedroom - it was open now - I glanced at the vacant walls of the halls. No pictures, no paintings. But a smell assaulted my nostrils and prompted my stomach to rumble. Bacon. I followed the scent all the way down the stairs, past the living room I'd woken up in hours before and into a wide kitchen. A table with an open newspaper, a glass of orange juice and a plate of the full English breakfast sat ready to be devoured. I stepped in but paused as Christian came into view, placing pots and pans into a dishwasher. 

"Good morning. Your breakfast." He smiled leaning against the counter top.

I sat quickly, took a tentative taste before sprinkling salt and a bit of pepper and digging right in.

"Not worried I did anything to it?"

His voice startled me because he was suddenly seated in front of me. "Did you?" I swallowed.

"I don't have a reason to." He reassured, watching me carefully.

I ate heartily, finishing off the orange juice and wiping my mouth. But something was nagging me at the back of my head. I couldn't put my finger on what but it was something... I shook the thought away and crossed my knife and fork over one and other. "Compliments to the chef." I smiled sarcastically. "What's today's agenda? Taking me back to town?"

His lip twitched as if he were holding back a smile. "We have a lot to do today."

"I leave tomorrow." 

"I'll return you tomorrow then." 

I frowned. "Christian, I can't stay h-"

The scraping of his chair moving closer to me made me lean slightly away. "Today is all you need to get to know me." I flinched slightly as he picked up my wrist and turned it within his palms. "I shared my past with you. But I have a lot more to share."

I watched the flicker of his pupils dilate and narrowed my gaze. 

"Do you want to know more?" He murmured, his thumb brushing over the visible vein in my wrist. 

"In exchange for what?" 

His blue eyes sparkled as they met mine. "I'm... Slightly parched."

"You're full and we both know it." I hissed trying to pull my hand back but his grip tightened. 

"I may be full, but sweet Evie." He pulled me up with him. "You are a siren. Just one more taste and I give you my word. Anything you wish to know and I will tell you."