Superstitions (Law x Reader)

Happy (late) birthday to Law! Also, do NOT do some of the things in this particular oneshot (Some very poor decisions are made)

---

Prompt Eight: Superstitions

---

"(Y\N)-ya, how nice of you to join us," your Captain grumbles as you lean over and pant for breath. "You're always the first to arrive, what happened?"

"Sorry Captain, I took a small detour," you groan before standing back up and offering the man a nervous smile (considering there is no way in hell you can admit the reason why you were late). Hopefully he wouldn't be too upset... At least, not enough to remove a limb. Law stares you down which makes you shift uncomfortably, before he sighs and rubs his face.

"Fine, let's just head inside," he says while nodding to the bar behind him. "The others are inside already." You smile and follow him into the bar, where the rest of the crew is indeed inside.

"Nice of you to show up!" Penguin laughs as you take a seat to the left of him. Shachi grins and moves to sit on your left before nudging your side.

"What gives, trying to skip out on the Captain's birthday party?"

"It's not my birthday party," Law reminds him as he sits down on Penguin's left side. "You all just wanted to get drunk."

"Untrue!" both Penguin and Shachi shout, making you laugh quietly.

"You two are quite believable when there's several mugs of booze in front of you." You lean up and look at them before grinning. "Or what mugs that once held it."

"Low blow, (Y\N)," Shachi grumbles as you hum and order a mug for yourself. "Wha-"

"Come on, that's hardly a drink," Penguin complains as you smile at the bartender. "How are you gonna party if you aren't buzzed?"

"I promised Bepo that I wouldn't leave him alone too long," you explain as you slowly sip your drink. "And I don't feel like navigating home while I'm drunk off my ass." Law snorts and mumbles something, which makes you raise a brow. "Got something to say, Captain?"

"I said it wouldn't be the first time you've tried." Your face becomes bright red as Shachi and Penguin laugh, obviously remembering the multitude of times Law's had to drag you back to the ship. You clear your throat in order to gather yourself, then turn back to your drink.

"You won't have to help me back, this time."

"So you say."

---

Fuck. Fuck! You even said you wouldn't get wasted, yet here you are trying to act like you still have your wits about you! The others are still knocking back drinks like it's no one's business, and you're positive they're only buzzed. Curse your piece of shit tolerance level!

"You doing alright, (Y\N)-ya?" law asks with a smirk, which makes you huff quietly and grin.

"Never better, Captain!" you chirp before standing. The world spins, but you force yourself to stay standing. "I'm gonna head back to the ship; I'm sure Bepo's getting lonely!" you laugh as you place money on the bar before turning around quickly (nearly blacking out in the process).

"Are you sure you're alright?" Law asks, this time a little less smug.

"Don't get your panties in a twist, Captain!" You laugh before speed walking out of the bar. Yeah, he definitely knows you're wasted based off of THAT sentence... You don't stop to give it much thought as you stumble down the dark roads. Lucky for you, you're wearing the Heart Pirate's jolly roger, so no street rats would be keen on trying to impede your progress.

"Mreow." You skid to a halt as you spot it; it's the same cat that made you late to begin with. You stare at the black cat, and it's beady (nearly glowing) eyes drill into you.

"Please don't." The cat, that smug bastard, stands and walks to the other side of the road effectively blocking off your path.

"You cocky piece of shit," you slur as you glare at the feline, that returns your look with one of glee (if a cat can even MAKE that kind of expression). With a sigh you look around before spotting the only other way to go: an alleyway. With a groan you stomp over to it and examine the shadows... Doesn't LOOK like anything's in there. With no other choice, you start walking through the alley while tripping and stumbling over garbage. "Stupid, bad luck spreading, furry asshole," you grumble as you reach the end of the alley and look around. As you turn to walk in the direction of the ship, you spot the cat sitting a short distance away. "Don't you fucking dare."

"Mreow." The cat stays in it's spot as you stumble by it quickly. Is this stupid cat going to follow you throughout the town AGAIN? You really can't afford to be late to the ship (considering you'll never hear the end of it from your Captain).

"Just stay over there, you bag of fleas," you grumble, "You've made me late enough today." This stupid cat not only harassed you while you were heading to the bar, but it also made your chores on the island take even longer... Why? Because it would walk in your path, and EVERYONE knows that black cats are bad news. Shaking your head to clear your thoughts, you stop when you hear footsteps behind you.

"Mreow."

"Quiet," you hiss as you listen more. The footsteps are getting louder, which makes you jump. "Not today, demons," you slur as you start moving again. Usually you'd turn and give your pursuer a piece of your mind, but with Halloween around the corner you're reminded of the old superstition... If you hear footsteps following you, never turn around. It could be the dead trying to make you join them (or it could be a drunken creep, but you're not about to turn and check). Eventually you start stumbling faster to get away, and you curse when the cat runs across your path (making you turn into yet another alleyway). This is going to be one hell of a night...

---

An hour of making quick turns while walking down random alleys, with constant footsteps behind you. That, all while drunk off your ass, makes you sigh in relief as you finally reach the submarine.

"(Y\N)!" Penguin shouts as he runs to the railing. "God dammit, do you know how worried we were? Do you have any idea how scared we got when we got here and saw you guys still weren't here?"

"I know," you slur before rubbing your face... Then it clicks. "Wait... "You guys?""

"Don't worry, we had a few detours is all," a voice says from behind you, making you jump. As Law approaches the ship, he glances at you and smirks.

"Son of a bitch," you groan as your head drops. "You were following the entire time?" Law chuckles as the rest of the crew returns to their original tasks.

"You were right, the demons didn't get you today."

"Captain," you groan before nearly falling. Law catches you and brings you to his chest, and chuckles when he spots the blush on your cheeks.

"I won't tell you to give up on your superstitions, but don't run head first into any more alleyways." And with that your Captain guides you onto the ship with a firm hand on your waist while you practically melt from embarrassment.