16) Delicate

Well, that was interesting... Karlie thought to herself as she waited near the front of the venue this was all being held in. She was told to wait here to have a proper meeting with Taylor, the one who was running the entire clothing line and also would be modeling with. In her opinion, she had already 'met' Taylor. She meant, supposed to how close they were not even a year ago, she didn't feel the need for another conversation that could only end in something along the lines of get the hell away from me or I don't ever want to talk to you ever again. Karlie didn't have a doubt that her ex could even take her right off the platform for modeling for her line of fashion. Having known the girl for years before, something simple to Karlie could be something major to Taylor. So really, she told herself not to expect the best to come out of this experience.

She wouldn't lie, she was nervous yet anxious to talk to Taylor again. Maybe she had some secret power she had never discovered that could make the other girl change her mind about the whole last two months. She doubted it though. So she waited while trying to calm her anxiety, tapping her foot against the ground. She was tapping a rythym very few people knew. Only her and that very special girl that still held a piece of her heart from years ago when they first met-

"Well... Let's get this over with..." The voice she dreaded to hear today yet longed to hear everyday not too long before today had broken her from her train of thoughts. Karlie stopped tapping her foot and peered up at Taylor. She looked back at her, their eyes meeting for a brief moment before the older woman sat down on the leather seats beside Karlie.

"So, I bet you know what to expect modeling for me? I mean, you've done it before." Taylor's voice got quieter as she spoke. Of course this was hard for her too. She sort of regretted the way she had confirmed her pick for Karlie but she sure wasn't saying it out loud.

Once upon a time, about two days ago, she was excited to get this clothing line up and running and to actually model it herself along with another sensational model. She was looking forward to all this but that was when she was pretty sure Karlie wouldn't be stupid enough to show up to auditions. If Karlie knew her well enough, like she should've, then Taylor would've expected her to have some common sense and know what the obvious choice would have been.

Now she just wanted to get this over and done with. Ironic, huh?

"Well, I suppose so." Karlie answered, shifting in her seat uncomfortably. This wasn't ever like it used to between the two. This wasn't even what the both of them had expected for this mini meeting.

Karlie looked towards Taylor expectedly, waiting for something to leave her mouth like an insult or an "I don't feel like talking right now..." then she would tell Karlie the first date for the modeling. But what came next was not at all what the both of them expected.

"This really sucks..." Taylor muttered, turning to face forwards and away from her ex. It was more meant to be a thought but something inside her wanted Karlie to know how much she was hurting. She had tried to fight against that part of her, but it was strong.

"What does?" The taller woman asked, hesitant. It was barely audible, what Taylor had whispered out, she wasn't quite sure she was suppose to hear it. But curiousness had overtaken her along with a throbbing ache in her heart. She hated when Taylor was hurting or even just having a bad day. She wanted only the best for her. She wanted to make sure she was okay.

"Oh, uh..." Taylor seemed caught off guard hearing that from Karlie. She gave her a quick glance to see nothing but genuine care for her in the other girl's eyes.

She should've read the letter, she should have... because knowing Karlie, it would've been the truth to whatever it was she had wrote it about.

"... Nothing. Nothing sucks." She finally said, turning away again and back to the almost empty lobby in front of them. She wasn't letting her guard down just like that. She was okay... yeah. She didn't need anyone. She had herself.

Well, the part of herself that wasn't turning against her.

Karlie started playing with her fingers, looking down at the floor. She wasn't about to push the issue even more. It wasn't her place to say, was it? She didn't think so. And why would Taylor reveal everything to her, whatever it was? Weren't they supposed to hate each other?

"Okay then... Anything else we need to talk about?" There, she got them right back on track again. The awkwardness was starting to vanish a little more even though it would never be gone. They discussed more about the dates and the pieces they would be modeling in the photoshoots all in a professional manner. And for the first time since they had broken up, the two stood up to shake hands, sharing a genuine smile.

"I'll see you soon." Karlie smiled before turning around to leave out the front doors when their meeting was over. It was the best fifteen minutes to her in a long time to be honest. She was smiling as she headed for the doors, forgetting all about what had happened in the past.

While Taylor watched her leave, all she was reminded of was the day she left Karlie. The smile on her face faded as regretted surrounded the air around her. She still asked herself what the hell she was thinking that day. She hated herself for walking out and causing such a big hole in not only her life but their relationship.

But then she remembered something she needed not only for herself but also for the modeling.

"Wait!" She called after Karlie, her feet scampering to catch up to the younger woman just as the door was about to open. She heard Taylor trying to get her attention so she turned around, only to be met with an anxious Taylor. She furrowed her eyebrows, confused from the vibe she was getting off of the older woman. Did she need something?

"What's up?" She asked casually, hiding any trace of her confusion.

They stood there for a good few seconds, Taylor fidgeting in her spot. She looked worried about something, Karlie could tell from the way she wasn't making eye contact with her at all.

"Could I just- Could I have your number again?" She asked, looking up at the taller woman after a minute.

Karlie froze in place. The look in Taylor's eyes was so strong of regret and longing. She looked so vulnerable as tears started to well up in her eyes. Something wasn't right, something was going on with Taylor. If the meeting hadn't gone so well, Karlie would've just walked away, wanting to get as far away as possible from her ex. But this time was different. Taylor never cried, never. Unless it was something bothering her, something causing her pain.

And Karlie, she only wanted to comfort her.

"Of course you can." She said softly, peeling her eyes away from Taylor's only to look through her purse for a pen and paper. She quickly wrote down her number then tore out the piece of paper out of her small notepad. She handed her number to Taylor then without thinking, she said,

"Don't cry, please."

And with that, she was gone out of the door.

Delicate, Karlie thought to herself. Taylor was delicate but only when something was wrong. And something was wrong. The one thing she had noticed talking to Taylor was she seemed a lot more self conscious. Her usual confidence had faded away almost. And she was skinnier. Maybe it wasn't noticeable to most people but to Karlie who had known her through her best and her worse could tell exactly what was bothering the older girl. She was falling back into the darkness like she had about a year and some ago. Was Karlie just going to sit there and watch it happen?

..................

30,991 words so far!