19) Back To December

Taylor's heart was racing as she waited in her new design studio. It was nice to finally have a studio to herself all for her clothing line since she and Karlie were going to be designing the looks they were modeling. Taylor wasn't too bad when it came to designing clothes. They would have professional help with making them anyways. But she knew how talented the model was in designing, so she wasn't all that worried about that part. What she was worried about was explaining why she wanted to meet up with her in the first place. She had told Karlie that it had something to do with the line but in reality, she wasn't even sure she had an explanation for why. Even if it was the truth. Something was screaming at her to see Karlie again and she just couldn't refuse to not.

Maybe if she told the truth then it wouldn't be so bad as pretending she had more information or an idea to present to her. She had no inspiration for any ideas. She just felt lost, and as if no one would ever understand her completely. Maybe that was why she had wanted to see Karlie again. But there was no turning back from this point now. She had to face her. Truth or a lie.

All of a sudden, there was a knock at the door. She knew off the bat who it was. Karlie.

Truth or a lie?

Truth or a lie?

Taylor bit her lip, slowly heading to the door.

No, that's it. Truth.

So she prepared herself for the worse as she gripped the handle then turned the knob. And there she was, a polite, not too wide smile plastered on her face. Taylor smiled back and motioned for her to come in. Once the two were in the same room together, things got awkward.

"Well, happy birthday.." Karlie began.

"Thanks."

The air in the room became stiff again. You could literally cut the tension with a knife. Two minutes in, and the two of them could barely function around each other.

"Wasn't that stupid that I forgot my birthday yesterday..." Taylor forced a chuckle, trying to stall on having to tell her opposite the truth of why she was here.

The two of them let out an awkward laugh. But there it was. As Taylor turned her gaze towards the ground, it caught her eye. Karlie's wrist was in a cast. She wondered what happened for her to break her wrist. It was also a perfect way to stall that other conversation from happening.

"What happened?" She asked, still focused on the orange sunset colored cast, Cara's name signed on it with a heart next to it.

"Oh, this..." Karlie giggled, lifting her hand a little. "Yeah, I fell last night while I was helping Cara with the last of her Christmas decorations. I fell off the ladder, hanging the Christmas lights and then there was an ice chunk that gave me a pretty nasty cut right on my wrist. Typical clumsy me." She explained. The tension between them was starting to fade a little but it was no doubt still there.

"Oh... That sounds bad." Taylor said, not knowing how else to respond.

"Yeah, it wasn't great."

Back to that awkward tension again, Taylor wasn't going to allow it. She enjoyed talking to Karlie again about actual topics that included their personal lives that not many people knew about instead of what was going on with the clothing line or how everything was going with their careers. It actually felt like a conversation that they both wanted to engage in for once.

"Did you cry?" She suddenly asked out of nowhere. She was surprised by the sudden burst of confidence too.

Karlie made a face. "What kind of question is that?"