61. Proving myself

I wake up, spluttering. Severus has kindly poured water on my face.

"What was that for?"

"So you could wake up. Also because I was curious to see how you would react."

I reach for my wand. It's not there.

"Where's my wand?!"

"Over here." He holds it in his hand. "You rely on it too much."

"I can't do wandless, you know that!"

"It's easy to forget. Here you go. We've got a death eater meeting soon."

"Oh goody." I say sarcastically. "Voldy can really get on your nerves sometimes."

Yes, I did go to meetings during school hours. Just being in Voldemort's presence dampens the mood.

"You still have to go. Apparently they need you here this time. As in need."

"Probably more planning. I'll be ready in five minutes."

"I'll tell your boss you won't be at work today."

"Thanks."

He walks out and I get into my death eater outfit, and do my hair in the style I reserve for the meetings. I meet him in the living room five minutes later. We have breakfast, then I sigh and stand up.

"Let's get this over and done with."

"You have to get me those books as well."

"Yep. Something I'll enjoy."

We apparate to Malfoy manor and do the usual talking about killing Harry. Then Voldy turns to me.

"Turning seventeen soon, are you?"

"Yes, my lord." I hate saying 'my lord'. I'm not your servant, Voldy.

"Since you cannot be branded, you will need to prove your loyalty to me."

Wait, what?

"My lord, what do you mean?" Says Severus.

"Isabelle must prove she is loyal to me and can evade capture, if she is to know our innermost plans and secrets. After all, she could turn against us."

Well that's just stupid. I already know their plans.

"Isabelle will be transported to another country. She must not seek help from anyone, and must make her way back here." He turns to me. "You must not be caught by the authorities. This is a test. I want to know how much fight you have in you. Make it back by the time school starts, and you will be rewarded. If anybody helps you, I will have them... Put to sleep. It will be dangerous."

"Yes, my lord."

"You are allowed to have a conversation with your father before you leave."

So we're doing this now? Alrighty, then.

Severus stands up and takes me outside.

"Do you want to do this?"

"Yeah. I think I can. I kind of have to. If I don't, they won't trust me. The other option is being branded. I don't really want that."

"I'll try to-"

"Don't even think about it. He'll kill you. All for what? Trying to save my life? No. You need to keep your head down. If I do fail, you have the potions. Don't die."

"You sure about this?"

"I think I am. I have no other option. Maybe I'll get somewhere close. Probably not."

"Let's hope you know where you're going."

I hesitate, then wrap my arms around him. "I'll see you soon."

He stiffens, then slowly hugs me back.

"Let's go back." He whispers softly.

My legs feel like lead as I walk back inside. I could actually die. I'll be trapped in the wilderness, unsure of where I am. Bellatrix stands up.

"Take my arm. I'll leave you there."

"Gee, thanks." I shoot one last glance at Severus before I'm whisked off to who knows where. I feel a sucking sensation, and I'm gone.

Once I feel hard ground, I open my eyes. Bellatrix pops away and I look around at my surroundings. I'm in a quiet little street. A town, then. A while off, I hear cars. I starts walking down the footpath.

These houses aren't posh, but not shabby. Middle class, I guess. That gives me a bit of a pointer to where I am. I take a look at the mailboxes. These numbers are pretty high. I keep walking.

Eventually, I get to a busy street. The blue street sign says Moorhouse Avenue.

I know a country with blue signs. I know a city with Moorhouse Ave. I smile to myself. I need to find out of this is where I think it is. What year is this? 1996? If I'm right, I'm in the perfect place. I know this city like the back of my hand.

I follow the busy road past car shops and electrical stores. Time passes, and I find myself in front of a massive park.

Hagley Park.

I almost laugh. Thank you, Bellatrix!

Christchurch city, New Zealand. Who would have known? I decide to go north from here. It's my best chance of getting to Australia. I can fly there. From Australia I can easily make it back to England.

Nice try, Voldemort. I can make it back in a few weeks. That's just before school starts again. I pull out my wand. Nobody knows I can use magic. They should really do their research before giving me a 'hard' task.

"Point me."

The wand points north, and I go in that direction. This is going to be easy.

()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

I don't know how long it's been, but I'm hitting the highway that leads north, to Hanmer Springs and all of those other places.

I think I can risk flying. I go invisible and take to the air. I'm glad Severus taught me to fly.

Soon enough, I get hungry and land in some trees not too far away from land. There are some mushrooms here.

As I'm eating, I get a chilling thought.

This is too easy.

If it's easy, that means I can let my guard down, right? Wrong. That's what they want me to do. I bet they're going to make it hard soon, and hit me with it from out of the blue.

As I'm getting ready to move, I hear a growl.

So it's not a bear, since there are no bears in New Zealand. Not a wolf either. I turn around and there's a stray dog laying there, growling at me. It gets up, and I slowly back away.

I don't know how to deal with this one!

"Uh... Good dog?"

It growls again. Why couldn't Hagrid teach us about normal creatures as well?!

"Um..." I rack my brains, trying to come up with something. "Stupefy!"

The dog drops, and I run for it. I try to fly, but I don't have enough energy for that. I guess I'll have to walk until nightfall.

_____________________________

Plot twist!

It was getting too boring.

That advice book is up! It's called Ask Away. You can find it on my profile.

QOTC: have a suggestion for something the Death Eaters can spring at Isabelle?

Thanks for 8k! You guys rock!

~Ericano