72. Back to school

Can I just say OMG.

72 chapters already? Sixth year done? The sequel is planned out?!

It's gone by way too fast, huh?

Yes, it has.

Whatever, you can read now.

After the funeral, I take Severus back home and let him do whatever he wants. I made him go because he at least needs to be there. It's his duty to Dumbledore.

Speaking of Dumbledore, Hazel and I did manage to find some jam for him to be buried with. People gave us weird looks, because they all had flowers. Hazel just stared right back, challenging them to judge us.

So they left us alone.

Ever since we've got back, Severus has been sitting in a chair, unmoving, silent. It worries me.

"Severus?"

He doesn't move. Not even a blink. I sit down on the floor.

"Severus, you can't cage yourself up like this. Please."

Silence. I sigh and get up.

"I'll get you out of that shell somehow."

More silence. I head into his room, grabbing the photo album I made him. I sit on his bed, and flick through it until I find the talking one.

"Hello, Isabelle. Where's Severus?" I tell her the story, and she's shocked. "How is he?"

"Terrible. Won't even blink at me. He's just sitting there, staring at the wall. I'm really worried."

"Bring me over. I might be able to help."

"You sure?"

"Yes."

I hesitantly take her over.

"Severus."

No reply.

"Dad. Please."

He turns to me, probably shocked that I've called him dad. Only once before have I done that.

"What time is it?"

"We got here half an hour ago, and you just sat there. You didn't even blink when I tried to talk to you."

"I'm sorry."

He goes silent again.

"Lily's here. She wants to talk to you." I hand over the album, and turn to go to my room. When I get there, I write George a letter.

George,

Severus isn't coping well at all. He's putting up barriers around himself. I'm scared for him. How's he going to run a school if he can't even respond when I say his name? I've even tried saying 'Voldemort' and he doesn't even flinch! I just managed to get him talking, and left him with a talking photo.

What should I do?

Love,

Belle

I tie it to Wormwood's leg and watch him fly away. Severus comes in and sits down on my bed. I move my chair, so that it's opposite him.

"Do you understand why I'm so worried?"

"I'm not sure I can go on."

"Wh-what do you mean? You can't just give up now, you're Severus Snape!"

"I'm also a killer."

"Stop it with that killer stuff, we both know that you didn't want to!"

"What else am I supposed to do?"