59. Now she knows

After lunch, I thank Severus and hand over the books. He spreads them on the floor and looks at me.

"This is a lot. What do you recommend?"

"Well, my favourite from here is The Fault In Our Stars. I'm here for you when you finish the last page."

"I guess I'll start with that, then."

We hear a hoot and a little barn owl settles itself on my shoulder. I take the letter from him and read it. It's quite short.

"They've approved." I say, my eyebrows raised. "That was quick."

"Invite her over. You can show her your mini people while you're at it."

"Okay. I'll be right back." I wave my wand and the books disguise themselves as spell books, and fly onto the shelves. He sits down with The Fault In Our Stars and starts reading. I pull open the door and step outside. Tabitha isn't there.

"Francis?" I ask. "Where's your mummy?"

"Inside. I'll go get her." She bounds inside and comes out a minute later with Tabitha.

"Hello. Francis says you wanted to talk to me."

"Is it okay if you come inside? I just want to talk to you about the loonies."

"Of course. Lead the way."

I open the door for her and follow her inside. Severus hears us coming and stands up to greet her.

"Hello. My name is Severus Snape. Isabelle, you can tell her everything in your room. That's a much better place to be in, to be honest."

I laugh softly. "Okay. This way."

She stares in awe at my mini Hogwarts house thing.

"How does it stay up?"

I wave my wand and two chairs appear. "Magic. Listen, you've been selected to know about our world."

She almost faints at the sight of the chairs. She sits down in one, shaking. I sit down in the other.

"This isn't real. I'm dreaming, that's what." Typical muggles. Like me, I guess.

I laugh a bit. "That's what my reaction was. The thing is, I grew up in your world. The muggle world. Muggle is the name for all people without magic."

"You told me you weren't one of the loonies!"

"I'm not." I hand my wand over. "This thing is designed for muggles. I'm just like you."

She stares at it in awe.

"So I could do magic? With this?"

"I could teach you a simple spell later, if you want. Anyway, in almost every muggle community there's at least one wizard or witch."

"What about muggles who do magic?"

"There's only one other that I know of. So in those communities, we have two or more muggles who know about us. The reason? We need someone out there who knows, so they know who to trust, and to advise other muggles. You have been chosen."

"By who?"

"Me. The ministry of magic, our government, just approved. I'm here to tell you how everything works. Just ask any question and I will answer. You can ask me anything about our world at any time for the rest of your life. Or mine if you out-live me. Then you go and ask someone else."

"Am I allowed to tell anyone?"

"Nope."

"What's that school you go to?"