Chapter 22 - Enough surprises.

He walked in, and shut the door behind him smiling. Renesmee is home, but I wanted to talk to you about something. I nodded, “Um Travis, this is Jacob Black, my alpha, or was my alpha.” Jake winked, “You’ll always be part of my pack, phasing or not. So what was this conversation we were having. Travis nice to meet you again.” He sat down in a chair, and leaned back. “Likewise.” Travis smiled. Hunter cleared his throat, “Jacob, your mom was killed in a car accident right?” Jacob sat up, and nodded, leaning forward, “Yeah when I was kid. A guy fell asleep at the wheel, and hit her car head on. It killed both of them.” Travis looked at Hunter, “Bro you’ve gotta tell him.” Jacob raised an eyebrow, “What do you have to tell me?” Jacob looked at Hunter. “My dad was the other driver. Travis was going through some old papers, and read the article.” Jacob sighed, “I was little. It ripped our family apart. I see Rachel, only because of Paul. I think they’re going to be moving to Seattle. Rebecca never has come back.” Jake shook his head, “Sorry, so my question was about Renesmee’s gift.” I looked at Jacob, “I’m sorry.” He shrugged, “I don’t talk about her death much.” I sighed, “I know the pain that comes with talking about the person you’ve lost.” Jacob gave a half hearted smile.

Travis, and Hunter left the room, so Jake and I could talk. “So I want to get something special for Renesmee. I’m not rushing things. We shared a room for the night, but I slept on the floor.” I nodded, “Yeah Bella told me.” I tucked my legs underneath me, as I curled up on the couch. “Well you could do a simple promise ring. She’d love that.” Jacob nodded, “I know your engagement ring symbolizes when you imprinted with the white sapphires, and the purple is when he proposed.” I smiled, “So how about you do something that means something really special.” He smiled, “Jewelry?” I thought about it, “Make a photo book. She’d love that.” He smiled, “Alright, well now I need to head back and get to work on that.” I laughed, “You ran all that way, just to ask me that.” He nodded, “Yeah the girl has a million pictures of us.” I smiled, “True.” He smiled, and stood up, “See you later.” He let himself out.

We were a few weeks from Thanksgiving. Hunter was enjoying his student’s, and work was busy. My mom called me, “Hi sweetie.” I smiled, “Hey stranger.” She chuckled, “So when are we having lunch?” I looked at my calendar, “Whenever you’d like.” She was quiet. “Mom, I’m working a lot of night shifts this upcoming schedule.” She didn’t respond. “Oh god.” her pained voice came from the other end. “Mom?” She let out a long breath, “I’m sorry, I had a cramp.” I became concerned, “Call dad please. You shouldn’t be home alone not feeling well.” She brushed me off, “Don’t worry. It happens when you’re pregnant.” I closed my eyes, and swallowed back the pain. “Sweetie, I’m sorry.” I shook my head, “It’s ok. Listen, I’ve come to terms with it. Don’t worry ok.” She was focusing her breathing. “Alright listen, just give me a day, and we’ll do lunch.” I smiled, “Wednesday work?” She was relaxing, “Yes perfect. See you say twelve o’clock?” I licked my lips, “Perfect. See you then.” I hung up. I needed to get ready for my shift. A nap was calling my name.

It was finally Wednesday, and I was at lunch with my mother. “So works keeping you busy, I see.” I nodded, “Yeah, Hunter, and I haven’t seen each other much. He, and Alice are doing a lot of the planning. I’m just tired, and once every other month, I’m uncomfortable, but managing.” My mom smiled, “What does your doctor say?” I shrugged, “Birth control, or every other month this is going to keep happening.” My mom nodded, and rubbed her small forming belly. “The baby is moving more now.” I smiled, “That’s great.” She looked at me, “Have you and Hunter been trying?” I nearly choked on my drink, “Mom in order to try, you need to have a life. Currently that’s not something I appear to have.” She laughed, “Just curious if any more grandchildren were on the way.” I shook my head. She quickly grabbed my hand, and put it on her stomach, “Feel?” I felt this quick ripple, and smiled, “Hi there baby. I’m your much older sister Leah.” My mom teared up, and I just pulled her in for a hug. We finished out lunch over laughs, and talking about work before we both headed home.