Chapter 5 - No longer a threat.

We walked inside, my thoughts were scrambling. What do I say? How do I defend what I've done? How can I explain myself?

Esme kept her arm around me. Edward looked at me out of the corner of his eye. I felt his gaze glued on me, as we continued walking inside, "Care to explain. You appear to be quite fearful of an outcome."

I gulped, "Your wife is still a newborn. Even though she controls it well, I can see why Jacob feared her reaction to his imprinting news." Edward stopped looking at me, "Uh," I didn't grasp why Edward was confused. "I was using her reaction as, well more or less an example." On a continuous loop was, "I don't know how to explain this." Edward was searching my brain, watching my eyes for anything. "I'd rather tell someone whose automatic response won't be to kill me."

Edward shifted, "Nobody will kill you. Just explain."

I brought up the memory of Charlie, and I in my living room. I remembered his face. Everything I said to him, "This is on my shoulders now."

Esme turned and looked at Edward, "Please tell me what's going on."

I looked down, and carefully spoke, "If the Volturri come, I will go willingly. If they have a different fate for me, I will take it."

Edward inhaled an unnecessary breath.

Esme gasped, "Leah why do you say that?"

Edwards’s eyes became wide, and fearful, "We'll protect you. This needs to be handled immediately."

I turned looking at Esme, "I'm so sorry. It's just I had to explain, or he might go to the authorities. I couldn't risk that."

Esme stepped in front of me taking my hands in hers, "Who might?"

Edward spoke, "Charlie, and regarding the nomad in there."

I felt the warmth drain, along with the color from my face. Esme's hand was on my cheek instantly, "Let's speak in my bedroom, and have you relax."

We walked quietly in the house past everyone. Esme guided me up the stairs to her bedroom. Edward joined Bella, and Renesmee.

"What's going on?" Bella asked looking up at Edward.

"Leah had to have a talk with Charlie about some stuff. She's rather upset about it." Edward offered her a smile, desperately trying to get her to give it up.

"There's more to it, then you're telling me. I don't keep secrets from you."

Edward sighed gently running his thumb across her knuckles.

"I will find out, one way or another."

Edward buried his nose in her hair, inhaling deeply, "Another is my fear."

Bella locked her gaze on him, "Outside now. Renesmee go with,"

Rosalie came over directing her to the piano, "Play me something?" Renesmee skipped over happily playing Canon in D Minor. Rosalie joined her on the piano bench, and watched as Nessie play.

Edward followed Bella outside shutting the front door behind him. It didn't really matter. Everyone in the house could hear every conversation going on. There was no true privacy.

"No secrets. What's going on with Charlie?"

Edward looked out before turning to Bella, "Your dad knows, well he had a quick run down on us."

Bella’s eyes squinted, not quite sure she was catching on, "What do you mean us?"

Edward tried to keep his composure, "I'm not angry with her at all. It was a need to know basis. Well,"