Chapter Eighteen

I arrived home and went straight to my room to shower. Once finished I went downstairs to wash and dry Hoani's shirt and scarf. Folding it neatly and leaving it on the coffee table in the lounge before going back upstairs and laying down under my blankets. I cried for the little girl who lost everyone important to her. I cried for all the pain she had been put through. Why me? Did I cause massive disasters in my past life? Did I do something so bad that I now deserve no happiness at all? I cried out all my sadness, loneliness and pain. Crying has never done anything good for me but sometimes it feels good to cry out all this pain.

I drifted off to sleep but soon woke up when I heard a loud knocking on my door. I wanted so badly to ignore it but the knocking continued. I sighed and went downstairs. I opened the door and was instantly pulled into a pair of arms. I flinched slightly and they instantly pulled back. I looked at Katie with a soft smile. Someone cleared their throat and I saw all my friends standing there. I moved and invited them all inside. We sat in the lounge with Katie next to me, Lucas on my other side and Jack, Sophia and Manaaki sitting across from us. "V, I'm so sorry. My brother is such an idiot!" Manaaki growled. I gave him a soft smile. "It's ok. He's allowed to make his own choices." I whispered quietly, trying to keep the sadness out of my voice.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I flinched when I hiccuped a few times. F***! I wasn't meant to do that. "How about we watch a movie? I'll make dinner for us if you want?" I asked them as I opened my eyes. I need a distraction. They all nodded and we made our way to the mini theatre down in the basement. We decided to watch Avengers Infinity Wars. The movie was almost finished when I left to start making dinner. I pulled out everything for chicken fettuccini. It didn't take long and soon everyone was in the lounge watching tv and eating dinner.

Lucas had managed to get me to laugh a few times and that's just what I needed. A distraction. I waved my friends off when they offered to stay with me tonight. I told them I was fine and to go home. I gave Manaaki his brothers shirt and scarf before giving him a hug. They all left and I went back up to my room. I started to draw. I slowly began to draw a flower going through the stages of a new bud opening right through to it wilting and dying. I woke up the next morning with a stiff back. I moaned as sat up and stretched my back. I had fallen asleep at my desk and now my back was killing me.

Thank god it was a warm night so I didn't get too cold. I got up and started getting ready for school. I flinched when I saw myself on the mirror. My eyes were a little puffy and red from crying but holding a cold cloth against them helped a lot. I straightened my hair and then parted it so I had a fringe that covered half my face and curled it.

 I straightened my hair and then parted it so I had a fringe that covered half my face and curled it

(Picture of hair straightened then curled. This is the colour of Veronica's hair.)

Lucas and Sophia arrived and we all went to school together on Lucas' truck. We pulled into school and I looked around the courtyard. 4 more months and then I can leave. I got of the truck and walked towards the entrance. "V!" I heard someone yell. I turned to see Katie running towards me. Katie pulled me into a hug when she reached me. "Are you ok?" Katie growled. I didn't bother to return her hug and when she pulled back I had a blank expression on my face. She dropped her arms and frowned. "I'm fine." I replied. I've already cried my eyes out over Hoani. There's no point dwelling on it now.