Chapter Fourteen

Dodgeball? Oh, kill me now! I've only just started losing all the bruises that covered my body! Now I'm just going to get them all back!

Ryder and Lucas were picked as captains and told to take turns picking their team. I closed my eyes in annoyance. Why are they doing this to me? I'm always picked last. "Veronica" My eyes shot open as I heard my name being called first. I glanced at Lucas like he had lost his mind. What the hell was he thinking? I hate dodgeball with a passion. Don't get me wrong, I could throw a ball just fine but no one ever handed me a ball so I could prove myself. It would become a full-on slaughter as everyone would throw balls at me. Not caring which side they were on. I glared at Lucas as I moved to stand next to him.

Lucas had a huge smile on his face as he looked at Ryder. Ryder looked about ready to kill him. "Sophia." Ryder growled. I tensed as I watched her move to stand next to Ryder. Lucas lost his smile, his eyes turning dark as Sophia smiled up at Ryder. Uh oh! "Pick Katie next." I growled at Lucas. She may look like a nerd but that girl had an arm on her. She grew up playing rugby and basketball. She also knows how to defend herself. I mean she did grow up with six older brothers and one hell of a father. I seriously need to go visit that family again.

Lucas picked Katie next and I smirked at Sophia as she scowled. Jack joined Ryder's team and they kept going back and forth until everyone in the hall was on a team. Katie bounced slightly with excitement while I glanced around the hall nervously. I was not in the mood to be hit twenty million times with those stupid dodgeballs. Ok maybe not that many times but you get the point. Ten balls were placed in the middle off the hall as each team stood on either side with their hands on the wall. We used more balls since more people were playing but as the numbers dropped so would the balls. The whistle blew and people took off towards the balls.

I stayed at the back waiting. People were dropping fast. Ryder and Jack were amazing to watch. Every time they threw the ball someone was out. People tried to catch the balls flying towards them but had no luck. The throw was so strong that it had people taking a few steps back. Of course, neither of them were throwing at any of the girls but that's what Sophia was for. Sophia was fast and aiming at every female in her vendetta to beat her boyfriend for not picking her.

I was surprised however when I saw Ryder's team dropping just as fast. Lucas and Katie were out for blood with the shots they were firing off. I also saw Phillip was on our team and firing balls at Ryder every chance he got. I smirked when I saw the bruise on his face that was still fading. Ryder dodged the balls with ease and I had to hold back my laughter when he gave Phillip a bored look causing Phillip to narrow his eyes in anger.

Once half the class had been eliminated five of the balls were removed. I looked behind me nervous at the anger and smirks that were now facing me. I grew nervous as I realised that if any ball goes out on our side, these psycho people were allowed to grab the ball and try to get someone on our team out and guess who was target number one?! S***! I guess it's time to join the game. We were standing against the wall again.

Whistle blowing, people ran towards the balls and threw them around instantly. I moved forward to stand next to Lucas. He smirked and handed me a ball without question. I spotted an easy target and let the ball fly. It hit Chelsea Brooks hard in the stomach and I smiled slightly as I heard her grunt. Distracted I didn't notice the ball heading my way until I heard it hit something. Lucas had caught the ball aimed for me and I smiled in gratitude. He handed me the ball again and I instantly let it fly, getting another person out. We continued with Lucas defending and me and Katie throwing. Soon it was down to me, Lucas, Ryder and Sophia. We only had one ball in play now.

Lucas was still on defence while I was attacking. Lucas and I moved with ease not having to talk to know what the other was doing. Anger filled me as I saw Ryder grab Sophia and move her out of the way of the ball flying her way. My eyes clashed with Ryder's knowing eyes. Don't f**king touch her. I felt hands grab my waist from behind and my eyes snapped up to look at Lucas. He kept his eyes focused on the ball instead of me.