Prologue

Empty. I feel nothing and nothing affected me... At least that's how I wish I could be. I wake up every morning feeling sad and lonely. I wake to the steady beat of a heart so broken it had closed itself off from the world. A heart so damaged it locked away all things regarding love and trust. Now all I ever felt was annoyance and indifference.

I'm 17 years old and stand at an impressive height of 5'5 with dark brown almost black wavy hair that brushes the middle of my back. I was ridiculously pale to the point that most of the time I looked like a ghost. The only outstanding thing about me, are my eyes. My eyes were a light purple almost violet colour. A rare colour considering it was classed as nearly impossible to have violet eyes but I never really thought about it before. They were just the colour I was born with.

My weight, on the other hand? Well, that just happened to be the bane of my existence. I have been overweight all my life and have been teased just as long. Even my own family could not stand the sight of me. My siblings would constantly tell everyone that I was adopted, even though I look exactly like our mother just fatter. My parents, on the other hand, tended to avoid me or only made comments about my weight when it was just the family around. I rolled my eyes at my idiot family but their words and actions still cut deep.

I never really noticed my weight until I was 7 years old and playing with the other kids in primary school. I was wearing a pink dress and had my hair done up in two cute pigtails. We were all playing happily when one of the boys from my class came over and threw a mud pie at me. He laughed pointing at me. "Look at the fat pig covered in mud! Oink! Oink! Piggy!" He laughed loudly. I looked at him with tears in my eyes. Hurt filled my chest as I locked eyes with Lucas Knight.

He was beautiful with bright green eyes and blonde hair. He was the boy all the girls had a major crush on, including me. He smirked at me and threw another mud pie. I looked at the girls I was playing with for help but saw that they were also laughing. Suddenly more people were throwing mud pies and calling me a pig. They called me ugly and fat, screaming at me to go home so no one else would get infected with my ugliness. Pain, as I have never felt before, was crushing down on me. And I, being only 7 had no idea what to do. So I did the first thing that came to mind. I ran.

I kept running until my exhausted legs couldn't take it anymore and slowed to a walk. I sighed in relief when I saw my house and began walking faster. I walked into my house covered in mud with tears still streaming down my face. Stopping I looked down and smiled softly when I remembered our house had wood floors, so I didn't have to worry about getting mud everywhere. Calling for my mother, I heard a distant reply coming from the back of the house near her office. I walked in and found my mother at the desk looking over a few papers. She looked up as I entered and wrinkled her nose at me. Seeing her, I quickly explained what happened to me with tears in my eyes. My mother just sat there quietly, making no move to get closer to me. She just gave a single nod then told me to go take a shower.

I rushed upstairs to my room, going into my bedroom and walked into my private bathroom and took a much-needed shower. Everything was just low enough for my tiny hand to reach. Feelings fresh and clean, I went in search of my mother again.

At this age, my mother was not yet the devil in my house. She was caring. At least I thought she was in my simple, young and childish mind. When I finally found her, still in her office I heard her laughing on the phone. "That's right, honey. She came home covered in mud! Some boys were throwing mud at her and calling her a fat ugly pig." She said laughing again. "Hahahaha I know, right. I knew it was a good idea to send her school looking like the fat pig. I kind of wish I was there to see it happen..." My mother said happily. I walked away crying again, not wanting to hear the rest of what she said.

I locked myself in my room, crying my heart out. Am I really that fat? I got up off my bed and looked at myself in my full-length mirror. I was chubby sure but fat? I had chubby arms and legs but they could easily be dismissed as nothing more than baby fat. To criticise a child for being fat is beyond stupid! Though thinking about it, I really am bigger than most kids in this town but ... Ugh!

I turned away from the mirror when I heard a knock on my door. Walking over, I opened it slowly. Standing outside my room, were my older brother James and his twin sister Jasmine. They are three years older than me and love reminding me of that fact. They looked like my father with his blonde hair and ice blue eyes. They both sneered down at me. "Look at the fatty crying." Jasmine sneered. Tears filled my eyes as I slammed the door closed, locking it before they say or did anything else. It was then I realised my family hated me.

Ever since that day, I have been teased and no matter what I did, I just couldn't lose the weight. I slowly died each day listening to my family calling me fat and ugly and a waste of space, just to get to school and hear the same things all over again. The words always hurt more than the physical abuse the idiots at school used to lay on me. Punches and kicks I could handle, I gave back just as many hits as I took. Bruises could heal but words cut deep and leave scars.

Every step I took while outside my bedroom was followed with words of hate, disgust and fists filled with anger and hatred. I didn't have any friends. I mean who wants to be friends with the town reject. That's right, The Town Reject.

*****

Just a few changes to the story. Hope you like.

xx

Raeree