forty three.

dan.

"you're smiley today."

sunny grinned at him knowingly and dan rolled his eyes as his only form of defense.

"yeah, because we're over with that stupid show." he took a sip of hot chocolate, burning his tongue.

sunny had asked him if he wanted to get coffee with him, and even though dan knew it was likely a trap, he had said yes. it would be nice to spend some time with him, anyways. he liked sunny, and they never hung out by themselves.

"sure."

dan couldn't help smiling, glancing up at him. "what are you implying?"

sunny leaned closer as if he was telling him a secret. "what's it like to kiss pure money?"

dan blushed but he laughed and shook his head to hide it, tapping his fingers on his cup. "i didn't kiss pure money. i kissed phil."

"yeah, well. same thing."

dan giggled, covering his mouth with his hand and looking away. he didn't know what was happening to him. was this who he was? sunny grinned at him.

"do you like him?"

dan groaned, rubbing at his eyes. "why is everyone asking me that?"

"because... he kissed you. because he clearly likes you."

dan paused, weighing his outcomes for a second before speaking again. "we kissed twice, actually."

sunny's eyes widened and he slammed his hand down on the table, making dan jump. "he kissed you again?"

dan nodded, even though he was hardly sure who had kissed who.

"he didn't tell me that," sunny mumbled, and dan laughed softly, toying with his fingers.

"yeah, well, maybe he's embarrassed he kissed someone homeless."

sunny half smirked at him and dan shrugged, smiling. sunny reached out and poked his hand gently.

"he really likes you."

sunny's words made dan's stomach squirm and he tried to keep back the stupid smile threatening to take over his face. he didn't answer, but sunny didn't seem to mind.

"by the way," he added nonchalantly, stirring his drink. "he's coming here."

dan stared at him. "what?" sunny nodded and looked up.

"yeah, like, now."

"now?"

sunny nodded again, watching him. "yeah, i invited him."

dan whined, hiding his face in his hands and shaking his head. "of course you did."

"what's the problem?" he took a sip. "you two spend practically every moment together anyways."

"not every moment," dan mumbled, blushing. "and i'm not ready. we haven't spoken since the last time we kissed."

"when was that?"

"last night."

sunny laughed at him, rolling his eyes. "you'll survive. you're practically dating, anyways."

"who's dating?" phil asked from behind him and dan flinched, giving sunny a pointed look before turning back to him.

"us, apparently." he looked really nice. his dark green button up had tiny leaves on it, and he was wearing his glasses.

"oh." dan swore he saw phil's face go pink. "i regret asking."

"exactly."

sunny cleared his throat. "well i just now realized i have somewhere to be, but first, phil, what were you up to this morning?" he gave phil a look and dan frowned, glancing between them, confused.

"what?" he asked, looking at phil. phil glared in sunny's direction.

"i hate you."

sunny grinned and shrugged. "it's just a question."

phil sighed, turning to dan. "i was looking for your guitar. turns out cities are big, though. but i let some people know to keep an eye out for it."

dan exhaled slowly. "phil, that's... you don't have to do that."

"i don't care," phil said bluntly, pulling out a chair to sit next to him. dan watched him with a weird look on his face.

"i'll be going," sunny said quickly, standing. "see you around!"

phil laughed and shook his head. "he's such an idiot sometimes."

dan nodded weakly. his mouth was dry. phil raised an eyebrow at him.

"are you okay?"

dan nodded again, trying to shake it off, looking down at his hands. "i'm fine."

"okay... good." there was a stint in conversation and phil reached out, hooking his finger in dan's. dan could feel him looking at him and it was making him feel like he was melting. dan looked up and met his eyes, and phil smiled at him.

"who are you?" dan asked before he could help himself. phil looked at him curiously.

"what do you mean?"

dan glanced down at their hands, and carefully slotted his fingers in between phil's entirely. he heard phil take a shaky breath.

"you're not phil."

phil laughed. "i'm pretty sure i am phil, actually."

dan shook his head, biting his bottom lip. "no... i don't think so. phil wouldn't hold my hand. he didn't even want me to sit in his car."

phil's gaze felt like the sun, making his face burn with heat. "okay, so maybe i'm not phil," he mumbled, searching dan's face. "but do you like me?"

dan smiled a bit and looked up. "well i don't approve of stealing someone's identity."

phil laughed and sat up straighter, making a show out of clearing his throat and making his face contort in a hint of disgust, but not enough to make him any less attractive. "is this better?" he asked, his voice sharper and brisker, and the sudden shift almost made dan shiver.

dan giggled and reached up to cup his face, squishing his cheeks with his fingers. it was something he had subconsciously always wanted to do when phil was annoyed with him, even when dan was annoyed back. "there he is!"

phil's face melted back to the way it had been, his features softened, and dan's heart did something odd. phil laughed and grabbed dan's wrists, pushing his hands away.

"i'm still the same person, you know," phil muttered, pressing his lips together.

"i know," dan told him, shoving his still half full mug of hot chocolate in his direction to share it. "but for the record, i like this side of you much better."

phil smiled sheepishly and took the mug from him, blushing. "well, it doesn't come out much, so take it in."

dan reached out and pushed phil's hair back absentmindedly, looking over his face. "i'll learn to bring it out."

phil nodded, searching dan's eyes.

"you already do, dan."