twenty.

phil

"bullshit!" phil growled, slamming his fist against the couch. sunny watched him curiously from the armchair, his eyebrows raised.

"totally."

phil huffed, tugging at his hair. the anger hadn't faded yet, not in the slightest. dan's words still burned in his memory, leaving him feeling sore and pissed off. dan didn't have the right to speak to him like that. especially because phil knew he was right.

god, phil hated him.

he mumbled something, climbing over the back of the couch and sitting down. "sunny?"

sunny looked at him. "yeah?"

phil chewed on the inside of his cheek. "do you think i'm... like... a supermarket kid?"

sunny stared at him blankly. "a... supermarket kid?"

phil nodded, rubbing at his face. "yeah. a supermarket kid."

sunny opened his mouth to reply but before he could, his doorbell rang. both of their heads turned to look at it.

"it's probably the mailman," sunny mumbled, standing to answer it. phil didn't bother getting up, resting his chin in his hands.

he heard soft talking from the other room, zoning out. he used to not care if he was a brat, because no matter how much people disliked him, he'd always have more money than them. but now... he just wasn't sure anymore. stupid homeless kid.

finally phil heard footsteps behind him. "was it the mailman?" he didn't turn, assuming it was sunny with his package (probably new shoes. sunny was addicted to ordering shoes online whenever his old ones got dirty even in the slightest.).

"no," came a voice back, but it wasn't sunny. phil jumped up and whirled around in shock. "not the mailman."

dan stood there with his hands behind his back, a sheepish smile decorating his honey colored face. "hi."

phil clenched his teeth, peering at him suspiciously. "what do you want?"

the smile on dan's face dropped a bit and he visibly swallowed. "while i appreciate the sentiment, i didn't come to fight with you."

phil glared at him. "what did you come for then? to get dirt on more nice furniture?"

dan's smile disappeared completely. "is that your only line?"

"maybe. is that your only shirt?"

dan stared him down coldly. "don't be a dick, phil. i came to apologize."

that took him by surprise and phil's scowl melted away for a split second, his guard down. "what?"

"yeah," dan grumbled. "believe it or not, some people actually mean well."

the boy sighed, leaning against the wall behind him. he looked tired, and like he'd rather be anywhere but here.

"i'm sorry. i shouldn't have said that stuff, i shouldn't have yelled at you."

phil looked him over. "you're right." he meant it in more ways than he knew dan would take it. dan looked aggravated.

"cool. do you accept my apology?" he held out his hand for phil to shake. phil stared at it for a moment. his fingers were long, and the tips of them looked a bit red and worn down. hands of a guitarist. phil shook his head after a moment and dan's eyes widened.

"no," phil said, meeting his eyes again. "i don't accept your apology. and i want you out of my shelter by tomorrow morning."

pure shock and horror washed over dan's face. phil hadn't really thought it through, he had just said what he knew would affect dan the most, and it had worked. he sneered.

"no, i... phil..."

"there's no discussion." it was exhilarating to feel this much power over someone. phil finally understood why his father acted the way he did. "you've outstayed your welcome."

dan actually looked like he might cry. he rushed forward, tugging at phil's sleeve, but phil remained stony. "please. y-you can't do this, nina... oh god, please. you can't do this." he was shaking. "just... let them stay. make me leave, i don't care, but let them stay."

phil shook his head. "all of you. i want you out."

dan's expression darkened and he looked like he might jump him. phil was moving his arms to protect his face when his phone rang in his pocket.

"hang on!" he shouted, stepping back from him and holding up his hand. phil lester had never missed a phone call, and he wasn't about to start now. dan looked positively furious, but phil couldn't have cared less.

he pried the phone from his pocket, frowning at the unfamiliar number, giving dan a mean smile before picking it up.

the connection was bad, and her voice was shaky and panicked, but phil easily picked up what the girl on the other end was saying, and it made his blood run cold.

"phil? are you with dan? get to saint bernard hospital as soon as you c-an, we need him here right now. you come too. hurry."