twelve.

phil

phil blinked at him in surprise. "are you sure? i'm sure he wouldn't mind letting you keep them."

dan nodded, thrusting his arms out further, a neat stack of clothes in them. phil could see a flash of red from under the jeans.

"no, it's okay." he smiled widely at him, which made phil's lips automatically twitch, wanting to form a scowl. dan was back in his old clothes- a band shirt so faded that phil couldn't tell what band it was, black ripped up jeans, a brown jacket, and those stupid gloves that didn't cover his fingers. strangely, he looked just as good as he did in the expensive clothes. "will you tell him thank you for me?"

phil took the clothes, looking at him like he was crazy. "sure." he set them down on his desk.

the air seemed to be kind of different between them. less hostile, but it wasn't good. it was more like... they had both realized they would have to deal with each other. like the one co-worker you couldn't stand, but didn't say it to their face. dan smiled more, but phil didn't think he was smiling at him- he was just smiling in general, happy to have a place to stay and to be able to take care of his 'family'. phil couldn't imagine being happy in his situation.

phil looked past him at the trucks pulling up in front, his eyebrows raising. "oh-! they're here, come on, help me set up the beds."

one thing phil liked about him was he never said no. to anything involving labor, at least. he seemed to always understand that if phil was giving him something, he should be giving back. so despite the fact he clearly would rather be playing guitar by himself, he nodded and followed phil outside.

he seemed a little less inclined to help when phil allowed the driver of the truck to take one side of the metal frame and dan took the other. phil didn't care; let him think what he would, he wasn't getting his hands dirty. dan rolled his eyes and clenched his jaw and didn't look at phil until they got back inside with the bed.

phil waved his hand at the other man, dismissing him, who nodded. he would be back soon with another bed.

"dan," phil said, finally forcing dan to look at him.

"what?" he asked flatly. phil sighed.

"i have to talk to you about something, okay? can you stop being grumpy for five seconds?"

dan frowned and crossed his arms, giving him a mean look. "i'm not grumpy."

phil sighed again and ran his fingers through his hair, unkept from how busy he had been recently. he made his way to the other side of the bed, sitting down on it. dan watched him suspiciously. phil lost his patience after five seconds of waiting.

"sit down," he hissed, grabbing dan's sleeve and pulling him down on the bed. dan gasped, just managing not to fall.

"don't touch me," he growled, yanking his hand away. phil sneered.

"i'll do what i want, you're staying on my property."

dan huffed and looked away from him, hugging himself. he knew phil was right. "whatever."

"okay, now that you got that out of your system, will you talk to me?" phil spoke to him as if he was a small child.

"i guess."

"good." phil messed with his hair again, attempting to fix it. "i told my parents about the event we're planning."

now he had caught dan's interest. he looked at him, the malice melted away for the moment. "yeah?"

phil nodded. "they like it, but i don't think they believe me. they want you to come to dinner."

dan's almond eyes widened. "no, oh my god. i'm not doing that."

"calm down," phil told him, his tone almost warning. "i told them you wouldn't want to, but they wouldn't listen. it wouldn't be a huge thing..."

"i'd have to go to your house."

phil's expression went sour. "my parents house..."

"you stay there, don't you?"

"sometimes."

dan shrugged, smirking. "so you live there still."

phil grumbled, grinding his teeth, but he knew he wasn't in a place to argue with him. "sure. whatever. will you do it?"

dan hummed. "no."

"oh, come on!" phil took a deep breath to try and control his temper. "please, dan."

dan still looked thoughtful, but not in a real way. he looked like he was messing with him. "i don't want to."

phil gave him the meanest look he could manage. he wasn't going to beg. "i'll give you whatever you want."

dan grinned. "earl likes books about the sea, katrina wants some new shoes, and nina asked for some more painkillers the other night. plus more mcdonald's."

phil rubbed his forehead, irritated. "fine. deal. but you don't want anything for yourself?"

dan shrugged and shook his head. "nah, i'm good."

"fine..." phil gave him a weird look. "they want to do it next saturday."

dan squirmed a bit uncomfortably. "i won't be very good company. i don't know any of the... rich people stuff."

phil laughed. "as long as you know which fork to eat with, you'll survive."

dan gave him a blank look. phil stared at him incredulously.

"really?"

"i'm sorry! when i lived with my parents half the time we used plastic forks and the other half of the time it was hamburgers or something."

"jesus christ." phil tugged at his hair. "i guess we'll have to work a bit before saturday, hm?"

dan looked like he was pouting. it was annoying. "i guess. i don't really get why they can't just deal with my ignorance. i mean, you are selling the idea that i'm homeless." dan ran his fingertip over a metal strip on the bed frame.

phil grunted. "they don't really get the whole homeless thing. if you're too civilized they won't believe me, but if you act like... yourself, they'd probably decide this project is too damaging to their imagine."

"jesus..." dan shook his head, curly strands tumbling in his eyes. he needed a haircut. "i hate rich people."

phil chuckled, standing up, causing the bed's weight to shift and dan to nearly fall over.

"we hate you too."