fifty five.

phil.

phil couldn't sit still in the car.

he had stopped by the shelter an hour before to see dan before going to see his parents. dan had told him he could move in, officially, and that alone made phil so excited he wasn't sure how he was supposed to act proper in front of his parents.

phil hadn't told him about where he was going. he knew his parents had said dan could come, but phil knew he wouldn't be able to focus if dan was there. he had to go alone. but he had told dan he had a surprise for him.

two surprises, actually.

if phil got the car tonight, he would ask dan out. that was the deal he had made with himself in his mind, the deal he would stick to. he knew he would have the confidence to, anyways. he just had to use it this time.

phil smiled in his own mirror as he pulled into the driveway. tonight was big, he could feel it- no matter what actually happened, it would be big. and he had a good feeling about it.

phil hopped out and jogged up the steps to his front door. his mother opened it, and smiled at him.

"where's dan?"

phil laughed softly and shook his head. "he didn't come. he had other things to do."

"oh." she only let a little of her disappointment show. "alright, come on in. there's food but you don't really have to stay- i assume you'll want to go after this."

phil's excitement peaked. he bit his lip and shoved his hands in his pockets. he didn't want to admit it but it did feel much more rewarding when he had been working hard for it for weeks.

phil's dad was sitting at his normal seat, but he wasn't holding a book or anything. he watched phil come in, blank faced as usual. phil cleared his throat nervously and stood before the table, before them.

his mother spoke first.

"your father and i are very proud of you," she said quietly, glancing at phil's dad as if checking for approval. he nodded. "you've been working incredibly hard, which we honestly didn't expect to see from you."

"you can have the car," phil's father cut in, staring phil down. phil's eyes widened.

"really? oh my god."

"yes," phil's mother said, shifting a bit. "for all your effort, we got you the car." she smiled. phil beamed at her.

"so you can leave that homeless boy now."

phil froze and turned back to his father again. "what?"

"yeah." he shrugged. "you don't need him anymore, right?"

phil felt anger rushing through his bloodstream, replacing the excitement. he stared him down, clenching his fists. "i'm not using him, dad. and we aren't even together." yet.

he shrugged again. "all i'm saying is you don't have to spend time with him anymore."

"harold," phil's mum breathed. he turned to her.

"what? it's the truth."

phil ground his teeth, trying to keep it together for just a few more minutes. "i spend time with dan because i like him. i don't know if you've ever experienced this, but i'm actually not using him to get a fucking car."

he felt someone grab his hand and turned to his mother. she looked nervous and she shoved something cold and ridged into his palm, closing his fingers around it. car keys.