forty.

phil.

if you had told phil lester that in a month or two he would be kissing a homeless boy; a homeless boy who had, until only a few weeks ago, solely brushed his teeth in fast food restaurant bathrooms; he would have probably slapped you. and yet, here he was, doing just that.

phil's arms wrapped around dan's waist the way they always did when they were cuddling, and he heard dan take a shaky breath, his fingers brushing to his jaw. it could've been a thousand years or a minute, phil couldn't have told you. but eventually dan pulled back- dan was pulled back- and phil tried to regain any composure he had left, which was surprisingly little.

he hardly knew why he'd done that. well, he knew, but it didn't make sense. he almost didn't want it to make sense- that would make it real.

katrina was talking to dan in a hushed voice, but phil wouldn't have been able to understand even if they were shouting. his head was heavy.

"what's wrong with you?" sunny's voice asked from behind him and phil turned, his eyes wide.

"nothing's wrong with me. does there look like there's something wrong with me?"

sunny looked at him like he had no idea who he was. "um... kind of? i don't know, you're just zoning out a little..."

phil cleared his throat and ran his fingers through his hair, trying to figure out how to look not zoned out. "i'm fine."

"alright..." he narrowed his eyes. "you have to meet people, remember? make conversation."

phil nodded, his face flushing. he didn't know how he was supposed to focus on anything right then. his heart was racing and he felt a little dizzy...

"seriously, what's your deal?" sunny repeated as he dragged him by the sleeve toward the stairs on the side of the stage. phil bit his lip hard and came to a halt, waiting for sunny to turn and face him.

"i kissed him," he muttered, watching sunny's face. sunny's eyes widened and he leaned forward.

"what? oh my god, are you serious?"

phil nodded blankly. sunny tugged on his sleeve, his expression melting into excitement. "you like him, don't you? i fucking knew it, phil, oh my god. are you gonna ask him out? are you gonna do it again?"

phil tugged his sleeve away, his heart skipping a beat. "i don't know, sunny, i... i don't even know why i did that."

"okay, well i do, and it's because you like him."

phil groaned and rubbed at his face just so he could hide his blush. "this is exactly why i didn't want to tell you." he could feel sunny rolling his eyes.

"not everything is so dramatic, phil. you like a boy, so you kissed him. it's not so complicated."

"but it is complicated," phil hissed, tugging at his hair, likely ruining dan's work on it, but he didn't care how his hair looked. "we're... i wasn't even sure we were proper friends, and what if he didn't like it? what if he won't talk to me now?"

"well, did he kiss you back?"

phil tried to think on it. the whole thing felt like a blur, a pleasant blur of his fingers in dan's soft hair, and dan's scent, and his warm, full lips... now thinking of it, yeah. dan had kissed him back. he had pressed closer to him and wrapped his arms around his neck...

phil didn't reply but his blush said it all. sunny beamed.

"see? it's simple. you like him, he likes you."