two.

phil

"that's bullshit," sunny said, his mouth full with probably an entire serving of frozen yogurt. he shook his head, blond hair flopping in his eyes. "bullshit."

phil nodded, his jaw tight, and crossed his arms over the table. he was still pretty peeved about the whole situation, frustrated of everything at the moment.

"i mean, i've had that car for two years," he mumbled. "that's so long. it's almost pathetic that i don't have a new one yet."

sunny nodded eagerly, glancing up at him as he shoveled another huge spoonful of ice cream into his mouth.

phil considered him his best friend- not that he really had any friends. he had met him senior year of high school, and sunny had been almost desperate to be his friend, but phil wasn't having it until he learned about how good of a listener he was. it was a fair trade he figured- food for conversation.

phil shook his head and huffed, tucking a strand of pitch black hair behind his ear. "i really want that lamborghini, man."

"i bet." sunny dropped his plastic lime green spoon back into his cup. "what'd they say you gotta do again?"

phil sighed. "volunteer work."

"oh." sunny frowned. "what kind?"

"any kind." phil shrugged. "except i don't want to do any of it. what's the point of volunteering? can't we just leave it to the people who need it? can't they do their own volunteering?"

sunny raised his thick eyebrows. "i don't think that's how volunteering works, phil."

"why not?"

he laughed. "most people can't afford to buy their problems away."

phil sighed and shrugged loosely, looking away uncomfortably. "whatever. it sounds gross."

"you could garden...?"

phil scrunched his nose in disgust. "with dirt? and bugs?"

"babysitting?"

"kids?"

sunny sighed, stabbing his spoon into the empty cup as if there was still frozen yogurt in it. "you could help out at a homeless shelter."

phil scoffed, shaking his head. "that's the worst. aren't homeless people, like, all crazy?"

"no?" sunny looked at him incredulously. "they're just people."

"filthy people."

sunny sighed. "you're probably right," he mumbled. "but still, if you want that car, you'd better figure something out."

phil leaned back in his seat, careful not to let his expensive jacket catch on the chair. "yeah. i will."

sunny stood up and phil watched him throw away his cup. "wanna go to your place?"

"i guess."

phil had his own place, a loft in the dead center of town, but he mostly gravitated between there and his parents house. he kind of just used it as a place to play video games and sleep.

phil pushed himself up, checking his watch. he had no curfew, but he felt oddly annoyed with sunny right then, and he wanted to make up an excuse to be alone. maybe he would just say he was tired.

nevertheless, phil's place was where they ended up. phil instantly flopped down on the couch, leaning against the arm. the cleaners had come while they were gone, leaving the place smelling like pine scented soap.

sunny flipped on the tv, but phil's mind was already occupied. he needed that car, but he wasn't used to having to work for the things he wanted. he wasn't going to volunteer anywhere he could get ordered around, that annoyed him more than anything.

if he was going to work, he was going to do it his own way. he just had to figure out what way that was.

phil stretched back over the couch like a cat, yawning. his shirt tugged up a bit with the movement, exposing his navel. his slender form spread out, his arms stretching above his head.

he didn't understand why his parents were so keen on all this now. they had had no problem with giving him anything he wanted when he was younger, what had changed? was it because he was twenty now, and was supposed to be taking care of himself and starting a family? and if they thought that, why hadn't they started teaching him sooner? maybe they felt bad about how they had raised him. it all just felt ridiculously silly to phil.

he just wanted a new car.

"it really isn't all that bad, phil," sunny said, his eyes still trained on the tv. "just pick up some trash or something and get it over with."

phil stared him down, his gaze steely and annoyed. after a moment of silence he yawned again.

"you know, i'm getting pretty tired..."