fifty three.

dan.

phil was in an odd mood, dan could tell.

he sighed and set their tea down on the outdoor table, but phil only glanced up at him, smiling stiffly. dan raised his eyebrows.

"what's up with you?" he asked, sitting in one of the metal chairs across from him. phil shrugged loosely.

"nothing."

"bullshit."

dan reached across the table and took his hand. phil finally looked up, actually looked up.

"there's something wrong," dan stated, narrowing his eyes. phil sighed.

"dan, everything's fine. promise."

"well, yeah." dan smiled. "that doesn't mean you're happy."

phil stared at him for a second and shook his head. "you're something else."

dan beamed. "don't distract me from the topic at hand."

"wasn't trying to."

"sure."

dan grabbed his cup of tea and pulled it close to him, blowing on it gently. "i know what we're doing today."

phil raised his eyebrows, but he looked amused. "oh yeah? what are we doing today?"

dan smiled, watching his drink instead of phil. "first we go to a movie theater."

"wait, before you continue," phil cut in, grinning boyishly. "do we see a movie at this movie theater?"

dan looked up. "precisely." phil nodded, leaning back in his seat in mock thoughtfulness. "but there's a catch."

"a catch?"

"yeah." dan took a sip of his drink. "so you go in, right? and you're like, 'i'll have a ticket, please', and the person's like 'what movie?' and you're like, 'whatever comes on next'."

phil hummed. "the way you're explaining this is very amusing, and it sounds like a good time."

dan nodded, biting his bottom lip. "'used to do it with earl."

dan heard him take a deep breath as phil's eyes bored into him. "yeah?"

dan nodded again, playing with his sleeve; he was wearing one of phil's least fancy button down shirts, with red and pink plaid. "when i made a little extra money we'd do it. the snacks were always too expensive, so we'd buy some candy or something from a gas station." he smiled, feeling a bit misty eyed at the memory. phil watched him and dan met his eyes. "when does it get easier?"

"not for a long time," phil replied softly. dan nodded, taking a deep breath.

"i guess that makes sense."

there was a moment of silence before phil gently hit his palm on the table and stood up.

"well if we're gonna make it to the next show, we'd better get going," he teased. dan smiled and stood up as well, shoving his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

"yeah, okay."

phil.

the theater room they were told to go to was entirely empty. phil watched dan smile in the soft neon lights, and let him drag him to the very back.

they took their seats in the center of the aisle and dan immediately turned to put his legs in phil's lap.

"let's check on three."

phil nodded, his own ticket clutched between his fingers. he brought it up as dan counted down and they both read what it said at the same time.

it was a romantic comedy that had been out for weeks now. dan seemed excited, and phil honestly wouldn't have cared what was playing as long as dan was happy with it.

they pushed up the armrest between them so dan could lay down with his head in phil's lap how he wanted to. his hair tumbled back from his face and phil smiled, playing with a stray curl absentmindedly.

the movie was probably good, but phil couldn't focus.

at one point something shocking must have happened because dan made a face in reaction, and phil swore his heart dropped into his stomach.

he nudged dan until he looked at him curiously, and pushed him up off his lap. dan sat up, and opened his mouth to say something, but before he could, phil kissed him.

dan squeaked in surprise but embraced it, grabbing phil's shirt and smiling as he kissed him, hard.

how was phil supposed to do this? he couldn't pretend there was nothing there. he wasn't a very good actor.

dan shifted but his lips never parted from phil's. he hooked a leg over phil's thigh and phil's breath caught. his hand found dan's hip in the dark.

how was he supposed to breathe when dan did these things like it was nothing? like it was easy? was it easy for him?

phil pulled dan the rest of the way into his lap and waited for him to pull back, but dan didn't budge. he cupped phil's face gently, his mouth soft and warm against his.

how was he supposed to act like dan's presence didn't mean everything to him?

dan pushed his hands under phil's shirt and something in him broke. he moved away from dan's mouth, nipping at his jaw before kissing slowly to his throat.

dan made a sound phil had never heard from him before (but he definitely liked) and tilted his head back automatically. phil hummed against his skin and closed his eyes, sucking on a spot beneath his jawline.

how was he supposed to know when the time was right? the time was always right, but terrifying. dan was always beautiful, but untouchable. phil always knew, but he didn't, ever.

dan's nails dug into phil's shoulders, waking him up. maybe sunny was right. maybe he should stop thinking, start living with the moment until what happened happened.

but what if it didn't happen at all unless he made it happen?

phil shoved back his thoughts and bit dan's neck. dan gasped and pushed his fingers into phil's hair, clutching to him. phil could hear his heavy breathing echo in his head, and he could feel him everywhere around him.

for once it was actually kind of easy to stop thinking.