twenty seven.

dan.

dan woke up late. the sun was already streaming through the windows, temporarily blinding him when he opened his eyes. he sat up and yawned, stretching his arms over his head.

phil tapped his shoulder and handed him a hot mug when he turned. he looked groggy, his hair was messy from sleep. dan couldn't remember feeling him get up.

phil disappeared into another room and dan watched him go, focusing on waking up. when he looked away he realized sunny was staring at him, leaning against the wall. dan blinked.

"what?"

sunny shook his head, a smile blooming on his features. dan frowned.

"nothing."

"no seriously, what?"

sunny laughed, raising his eyebrows. "you guys didn't hook up on my couch, did you? cause i might have to get that burned."

dan's eyes widened. "no! oh my god, no. we j-just... we just slept. together." he flinched. "as in, like, we actually slept."

sunny seemed to be enjoying dan's struggle. "okay, just checking."

dan paused, but couldn't keep quiet. "you know we aren't a thing, right?"

sunny hummed. "that's disappointing."

"why?"

sunny laughed again. "i'm really trying to pawn phil off, here. he hangs out at my house way too much. he needs a boyfriend desperately."

something about that nagged at dan, even though he wasn't quite sure why. "is phil... you know, is he gay?"

sunny had opened his mouth to answer when phil emerged back out of whatever room he had gone into, wearing an expensive looking jacket over a shirt littered with a logo dan didn't recognize, jeans, and dark boots. he glared at sunny. for some reason the replacement of the soft, sleepy version of phil with this usual confident and cocky version just from a change of clothes made dan smile.

"what are we talking about?"

sunny's cheeks went red. "definitely not your sexuality."

phil stared him down, poking his tongue into his cheek. "that's good," he said stonily, narrowing his eyes. "it would be really weird if you were."

phil turned to dan, striding over and sitting next to him on the couch. "hurry up and drink that, we have to go."

dan took a small sip of the tea, the hot liquid burning his mouth. "where are we going?"

"back to the shelter."

dan nearly spit it out. "what? now?" he knew he had to go back eventually, but he didn't feel ready. what if kat was still mad at him? it would destroy him. phil nodded.

"yeah, now. you need to make up with them, dan, you're all struggling. you're gonna march in there and let them know what happened isn't your fault, but you love them and forgive them for blaming you."

sunny clasped phil's shoulders from behind, grinning. "forgive him, he doesn't really know how fights are resolved. he's never had to resolve one himself." sunny patted phil's cheek before walking away and phil glared in his direction, his face flushed. dan giggled.

"i don't know if i can do this," dan muttered, taking another sip and letting the warmth calm him.

"well, that's okay, because i know you can do this." phil actually smiled at him, and dan nearly dropped his mug. jesus, no wonder he kept that thing under wraps. seriously, who needed money when you had a smile like that?